Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Mental illness and relationships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mental illness and relationships
moon_goddess
Activist
Member # 55254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moon_goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new to this site, but I have a few questions:

I am a junior in college, and have never had what I would consider a relationship.

Currently I like this guy who has been one of my friends since freshman year, but I'm unsure of whether I should ask him out (I don't like putting myself out there to ask people out, but that's a different issue) because I'm currently dealing with depression and am not the most emotionally stable person.

On one hand, I don't want to start something when I'm not at my best, but on the other hand, why should I put my life on hold for something like depression, because I've had it for a while and I'm currently having a relapse. (So basically what I'm saying is that I think depression is always going to be an issue for me.)

I'm also a little conflicted about going out with him because I identify as bisexual, and would like to try going out with girls since I'm in college (and I feel that would be harder after college).

Any advice/help would be great!

Posts: 48 | From: Northern Hemisphere | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to ST!

Are you in therapy at all for your depression? If so, have you spoken to your therapist about starting to date? It is perfectly possible to date for people who are living with depression, but it is not always the best idea, especially depending on where you are at in the process of dealing with your depression. This is why I think it would be best if you talked it over with a therapist.

Also, going on a date with one person doesn't mean that you are committing to them right away. You may end up liking each other and seeing more of each other, or you may not. That's part of the fun of dating: you never know what might come of it. And even if you decide to get more involved with someone, that doesn't automatically mean that you have to be exclusive. There are a ton of ways to conduct dating and relationship, and you get to chose the one that's right for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.