Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What a good relationship is/isn't

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What a good relationship is/isn't
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Scarleteen, we have a lot of great resources on relationships but I'd like to see is (even) more discussion on what a good relationship is... and isn't. [Smile]

There are some related threads but I wanted to do this in bullet form. I've got some points to start but I'd like to hear your thoughts and experience: you can repeat things people ahead of you have mentioned as well as share personal stories if you'd like.

---------------------

What is a good relationship? What isn't a good relationship?
*By relationship, I mean a romantic and/or sexual partnership, but I think many points apply to platonic friendship, too. [Wink]

What a good relationship is
- You enjoy spending time with your partner.

What a good relationship isn't
- You have to or feel pressured to change your relationships with friends and/or family, like spend less time with them or keep secrets from them about your relationship.

[ 02-20-2010, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmmChocolate
Activist
Member # 45830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmmChocolate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a good relationship is:
- Someone who can act as your best friend, no topic is left untouched!
- When you wake up excited to see them/talk to them each day.
- When he/she gets along great with your friends and family without being phony.
- Someone you feel comfortable with (socially, emotionally, sexually)
- No pressure, always a good time.

What a good relationship isn't:
- Not respecting your sexual boundaries/safety.
- Tries to turn you against friends and family.
- Makes you jealous on purpose.
- Says he/she's somewhere when he/she is not.
- Lies, lies, lies.

--------------------
:)

Posts: 110 | From: The West Coast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-When you feel safe with the person
-When you know that you can call the person at 3Am in the morning if you're feeling down

-When the person calls you names and puts you down
-When the person won't respect you or your boundaries

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you are nice about each other's bodies, giving compliments and making sure that you both know you are beautiful however you look
When you can openly discuss contraception, STIs and safer sex and what you need to do to have safe sex is accepted

When one partner puts pressure on another to do sexual things they don't want to do
When you call each other mean names
When you are scared to tell your partner there is something you don't want to do with them (sexual or otherwise)

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robot_on_fire
Activist
Member # 45735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robot_on_fire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a GOOD relationship is :

-SOmeone you can be yourself with
-being totally honest about everything
-being able to talk
-understand each other ( most of the time) and if not are willing to talk/do something about it
-care for each other
-respect each other
-being there for each other

what a good relationship ISN'T:
-making each other uncomfortable
-forcing anything onto anyone
-deliberately harming
-"using" someone

Posts: 92 | From: las vegas | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.