Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Emancipation! HELP!

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emancipation! HELP!
Member # 38988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justamby427     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend is 16 and he lives in an unhealthy environment. he was beat as a kid but it stopped after his dad passes away three years ago, although his back has over 30 scars. he is almost 17 and his mother is very controlling. she makes his life hell, taking everything away from him for calling me, and tells him he is worhtless and she would be better off without him and he was her worst mistake. and it is hurting him mentally. and then there is his uncles, who send him threatening text messages and voice mails, threatening to cause him bodily harm. my boyfriend wants nothing more than to be with me but his mother will not give me a chance. he is in an unhealthy, abusive and unstable environment. and his mom will not let him live alone let alone sign the papers for him to be emancipted. how can i help him become emancipated? my parents have agreed to give him a place to stay and they are willing to help him however they can.

what can i do to help him get emancipated?

Posts: 2 | From: california | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this has taken awhile, Justamby.

This website is run by the State of California court system, and the page i'm linking you to is the FAQ's on how to get emancipated in the state of Ca. That should help you get started, but if it doesn't help you at all, we can try to help further.

[ 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: ASargent42 ]

Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to also be clear, since emancipation is a long process and does involve getting a lawyer, that isn't his only option. (FYI, His mother doesn't need to sign anything: it's a judge who needs to okay emancipation, and it can be okayed without parental consent.)

Given there is a history of physical, verbal and emotional abuse in his household, he could call social services and more quickly be removed from that home.

Your partners could certainly let social services know that they would be interested in fostering him, but just so you're aware, that may or may not be considered a suitable situation. Since the goal is finding someone a stable home, a home of a girlfriend or boyfriend sometimes isn't considered to fall under that criteria, since a breakup would obviously make that a less stable place.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3