Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » oi poloi! we've gone long distance!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: oi poloi! we've gone long distance!
lozzy57
Neophyte
Member # 38279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lozzy57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, my boyf and I have been together for 8 months now, we met when I moved to London for a gap year, and at the end of the summer I had to move back to my family home, 500 miles away.

We've been managing pretty well so far, sending letters and emails, texting im'ing and calling. I think one of the reasons we have managed to stay together so easily (although it was by no means *easy*) for so long is because we do and always have communicated well.

I was just wondering if anyone had any other advice to keep our relationship strong? Or some ideas which will bring a smile to his face?

(only 12 days until we see each other again!)

P.S. Apologies for my strange title... it's my new favourite phrase!

[edited to add in P.S.]

[ 12-07-2008, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: lozzy57 ]

--------------------
Chin up darling - knock yourself out!

Posts: 26 | From: London, UK | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great that you can communicate well. You might find this interesting: Going the Distance: A Few Thoughts on Long-Distance-Relationships

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lozzy57
Neophyte
Member # 38279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lozzy57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank for the link, my boyfriend and I have already read it together - just last week in fact!

Well... when I say 'we' I mean that I forced him to endure my monotonous reading it to him lol

--------------------
Chin up darling - knock yourself out!

Posts: 26 | From: London, UK | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJandDC
Neophyte
Member # 41528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MJandDC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! My boyfriend and I spent 2 years of our 5 year relationship long distance, though not as far apart as you. We talked on the phone every night. When he studied abroad in Japan, we instant-messaged almost every day. The thing we didn't get into until almost the end of our time apart was webcams! They were great and totally worth the relatively small expense.

The one thing I regret about our time apart is that we ended up fighting quite a bit about the distance itself and when/how/whether we would get to live in the same city again. It seemed like one or the other of us had to make some sacrifice (in our career, education, or time with family) and that was hard to deal with. Especially when we got really serious, that became an issue. For a long time I was only willing to move to his city, if he would promise that sometime down the road he would be willing to do the same for me. Once I gave up insisting on that point, we got along a lot better. Good luck dealing with that, if it comes up for you.

Posts: 15 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.