Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why?
KylelovesBridget
Neophyte
Member # 38896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KylelovesBridget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so i know that not everyone is like this, and this question does not really have an answer, but why do guys and girls hide their feelings when they like someone? Is it because of a fear of rejection? I am with my girlfriend, and she has liked me since february, and i liked her before that, but we just recently confessed our attraction to each other (through a text). But i wonder why guys and girls can't admit their attraction again, because we have secretely liked each other for a while now, and if we had just said something sooner we could possibly be going out for at least four months. Has anyone else noticed this? Thank you for your time.
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
okiegirl
Neophyte
Member # 38893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for okiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so I understand the question, and my boyfriend and I got together through a similar situation. When classes started in January, from the first day of classes we sat next to each other and were even lab partners and we flirted and joked for a month and a half. In the middle of February he started asking me to hang out on the weekends since "his friends were going home for the weekend and he'd be really bored" finally I agreed to give him my cell number so he could call me when he needed help on a very easy assignment. After hanging out twice he texted me one weekend when we both went home and asked me if I liked him cause he didnt think I did (we're in college so this junior high move was sooo cute) I told him I did and he sent back a text saying that was good cause he really liked me too. Needless to say we've been going out ever since, but the reason it took us so long to act on our feelings was cause we were afraid of ruining our comfortable friendship, and if we broke up and still had to be lab partners that would have been weird. Mainly though we were both afraid that the other person was just being friendly with no intentions of being anything other than friends. Thats my take anyways, we still joke and laugh about how we felt like we were in junior high trying to get the other persons attention. The fact that it took us awhile to get to where we were going out wasn't a problem it gave us time to get to know each other and gave us some cute memories to laugh about.
Posts: 4 | From: texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hollie5626
Neophyte
Member # 35451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollie5626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh I guess people are just scared about the consequences for the existing relationship if the other person doesn't feel the same. Even if your just casual friends - there is the potential for a lot of embarrasment there.

Me and my boyfriend were best friends first and it took ages for us to admit our feelings for each other. Like we'd known each other since we were little kids and I knew he cared about me heaps but when we were younger he was more like a big brother the way he was towards me and I wasn't really sure if he felt THAT way about me now that we were older. It would have been really arkward for us if I went to profess my love for him and he still saw me more like a little sister. But then we were the same, thinking we could have been a couple months ago. But it happened, thats the important thing, we've had more then two and a half years together now.

Posts: 22 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KylelovesBridget
Neophyte
Member # 38896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KylelovesBridget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is true, thank you. I'm glad to hear that you guys have had successful relationships.
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.