Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Torn between 2 people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Torn between 2 people
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so everyone knows that I'm in the process of a divorce from my abusive husband. I started this new job about a month ago, and I met this guy named Rick. We started hanging out at work, and then we started hanging out outside of work.

At that time he had just gotten out of a relationship with another girl named Ashley, who is bipolar, and played with emotions, played head games, etc. I do like him, and I know that it is WAY too early to get into another relationship and I need to heal first.

I'm still going to love Max for the rest of my life, but what he did to me was unnecessary and completely uncalled for. I realize that now, and I also realize that our marriage will never work, no matter how hard I try.

Rick says that he wants to give me a chance at a relationship, but since his break-up with Ashley, he has been really messed up. Almost feeling empty as he puts it, and he feels like he won't be able to love again. I am torn between the 2, but I want to give him a chance. But the most important thing is to let myself heal first. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

*^_AsHLeY_^*

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you say, you need to heal first - and also get through the divorce. Starting any new relationship is going to be a whole lot easier once you know you're safe from your husband.

It also sounds like Rick needs some time to get over his last relationship and get his head together.

So it could be worth letting him know that you like him, and you'd like to keep hanging out and getting to know him better, but you're not ready for a relationship yet. See how he feels about that.

Any relationship is going to have a much better chance of lasting if you're not both "rebounding" from past bad situations.

On the other hand, if he's pressuring you to make a snap decision, even after admitting that he's not in a good state himself right now, that could be a bad sign.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiLLaBaBy017
Activist
Member # 6514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiLLaBaBy017     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He knows that I like him, and we both know that we have to get over our issues before we can have any kind of relationship. He never asked me to make a decision right now. He told me that he would love to get to know me better and than take things to the next level, which is something that I'm glad he said. He knows I'm having a hard time, and he knows how I feel, and he said that I can take as much time as I need. I feel that is all I need to hear: that he is actually willing to wait for me until I'm truly ready to begin another relationship.

Things are kind of crazy right now because the divorce isn't final, and Max pretty much took away all the power and self-esteem out of me, which is why I always act so down and sad all the time. I was a much happier person when I wasn't with him. And I have to try really hard to gain back what I lost when I was married to him. I seriously thought about becoming a lesbian, because I've had such bad luck with guys, and the ones that I date tend to abuse me after awhile. I don't know why I choose those types of men. Sometimes I feel that becoming a lesbian would be a much better thing to deal with. Does that sound crazy?

--------------------
Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift

*^_AsHLeY_^*

Posts: 294 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it doesn't sound crazy but it does sound a bit impractical. Being a lesbian isn't about having had bad relationships with men, or disliking men, or men at all. [Smile] It's about be attracted to women and if you're not I don't think dating them is a good idea at all. You'll just have a whole new set of problems.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.