Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » valentine's day y'all

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: valentine's day y'all
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 10 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that season is approaching....

I thought it'd be nice to share our feelings!

I for one am going to be alone this valentine's day...sniff...so I need all the sympathy I can get.

So let's cheer each other up. Tell me everything you think, like and don't like about Val Day!

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well usually I am alone too, so a *hug* for you out of sympathy. I remember those alone val. days! Luckily I have a WONDERFUL boyfriend of 2 yrs. Val. day is such a romantic day for me now! I love it! Since about Middle/Jr High school I guess, I have recieved Roses from my parents on Valentine's day. I prefer Lillies, as everyone else in the world gets roses (I like to be different) So the past few Valentine's days I have been hintig to my boyfriend NOT to get me roses (honestly I really dislike them) but to get me Lillies instead. Each year he has sent me roses. Maybe this year he will catch on, but if not, I will love them all the same.

I have to give him a unique gift. I dread this part because everything creative I can think of I have already done. A poem, a scrapbook (actually it was a powerpoint presentation, but considering a scrapbook would be a duplicate.) I think I have chosen to write a song. I am working on that at the moment actually.

Anyway, this year will be an Okay year for me on Valentine's Day if all goes well. I wish everyone luck in finding that special gift for that special someone, and to those loners, The day can be good for you as well! My guy friends used to take me out to dinner, we would all hang out listening to music.

It doesnt have to be a romantic day. It can be any other Holiday or any other day. If you dont have a significant other to share it with, share it with others you love. Most of all I want to say HAVE FUN!

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happy*little*me
Neophyte
Member # 26329

Icon 10 posted      Profile for happy*little*me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird, I've never actually celebrated Valentine's Day. Never gotten or given anyone a Valentine, and never been sad about being alone either. This year I have gotten into my first serious relationship, and this will be the first Valentine's Day that I have ever been with anyone. Even now though.. i really don't feel that enthusiastic about it. I live in Europe... and I guess its just not a big deal here...

The one thing that bothers me about it (or about what I've heard said about it by people living in America) is that it makes people feel bad about being alone. It idealizes coupledom and makes people feel inadequate when they are not in a one. Mind you, I've never felt like that on all my lonely Valentine's Days... (I usually only notice in passing that, "oh.. its Valentine's Day today, isn't it??") But for people who do take it seriously or see it celebrated more around them, those are the effects that it seems to induce.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your post, Happy, made me think. I would like to add to this thread that Valentine's day doesn't have to be a depressing day, And it shouldn't be.

I have noticed now, by reading Happy's post, that many people do place a frown on Valentine's Day, Mainly those who are single or are out of a bad relationship. Maybe those who are missing someone from a relationship. We all have our reasons for being sad, but it is a holiday, like all the rest. Make the best of it. Enjoy it.

In remembering spending Valentine's Day alone, or with my friends. Not sharing it with anyone as a couple, I was never really discouraged by it. I still had a good time.

So that being said, I will copy from my post above and once again say . . .

HAVE FUN!!!!!

[This message has been edited by oOo Lea oOo (edited 02-01-2006).]

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner and i both work (nights) Valentines Day. Working nights, we'll be sleeping during the day ... Therefore, i guess we really won't have a Valentines Day on Valentines Day.

But, i really don't give a crap, and neither does he. I guess it could be seen as special, as this is our first Valentines Day since our engagement, but it's never really been a big deal to me. We use it as an excuse to go out on a date (dinner and a movie or something) but don't really go overboard. It's unnecessary.

We spend all year celebrating/showing our love, we dont need any special days to do it on.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 12 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Smurfy. V-Day is all fine and well, but I don't celebrate love on just one day out of 365. I do it everyday, and so to see one random day be draped in ribbons, red roses, and all things lacy, floral, silk and heart-printed, is kind of funny.

I haven't celebrated the day in any big way for the entire course of my relationship--which is three years long and counting. What we did each year was write each other a funny note or card and buy each other our favorite candy bar. Sweet and affordable!

And after working at Victoria's Secret, land of lingerie and super-pushy salespeople for the longest couple of months of my life, I can't not be convinced that the happiest people on V-Day are corporations that will make a killing off the holiday.

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 10 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my friends (all single) have turned Valentine's Day into a sort of Singles' Awareness Day. We celebrate all the things we love about being single and about life in general, give each other presents, and chill with each other. It's a lot of fun.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.