Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Never too Skinny

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never too Skinny
lil_kiwi
Activist
Member # 26749

Icon 13 posted      Profile for lil_kiwi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend is anorexic and I have been noticing she is falling back into old habits. I want her to stop because I know she is at a dangerous weight. But am afraid because last time I hinted something was wrong she ignored me, never was honest to me about everything, and barly talked to me. She was later hospitalised. I don't want to lose her as a friend, expecially if I don't help at all. What should I do?
Posts: 198 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 10 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she's been to the hospital before, then there are other adults around you who know and are also concerned for her health. Say something to one of them. If she's relapsing into this behavior, she still needs help.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'll second what DarkChild said, but let me add: I know you're concerned about upsetting her, but think about it this way: it's a lot better to let her get pissed off at you if it means she gets the help and the treatment she needs than to let her sicken and possibly die if while you stay silent. True friends don't stand idly and let their friends get hurt.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil_kiwi
Activist
Member # 26749

Icon 10 posted      Profile for lil_kiwi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. I do know I can't stay idle by and watch this disaster happen. It's just how do I approach her so she doesn't ignore me, and stop being my friend.
Posts: 198 | From: Ca, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You take her aside and try to talk to her in private. Tell her you're worried about her. Tell her you mean well, but you're afraid she'll hurt herself. Then if she admit there's something wrong, stay with her and try to hatch a plan together.

And whether or not she shuns you, you need to tell an adult. Her parents. Her teachers. Somebody who can intervene.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.