Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Can I live up to what he was to her?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I live up to what he was to her?
TI83Plus
Activist
Member # 19107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TI83Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started going out with this girl a couple weeks ago. Her last boyfriend she was with for 9.5 months. He didnt always treat her right and at the end of August, he cheated on her. Of course in more than 9 months, he said things that she would believe (I'll always be there for you, I'll love you forever, You mean to most to me...). I just get the feeling sometimes that I will never live up to what he meant to her. He was her first and he meant a lot to her.

He still to this day can make her cry by saying little things. She is over him, but still cares what he thinks.

Also, what can I do to make her understand that I will never cheat on her and I wont be an idiot like he was to her?

Thanks.

Posts: 124 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can start by telling her that, regularly if need be.

It sounds like you respect your partner very much, which is a great start. Feelings don't spring up overnight, however-- they grow as relationships grow. Don't stress about comparing yourself to your partner's ex, just concentrate on being the best partner that you can be.

It sounds like your partner's ex was an emotionally abusive person, and in that respect your relationship with her will hopefully never be the same as her relationship with her partner. Of course I can't give any guarantees as to the success of a relationship, but if both of you do continue to want to be together for long enough, and you both respect each other as people, then you will doubtlessly end up with a much stronger and more loving relationship than your partner had with her ex.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.