Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How to tell your parents that you are sexually active

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to tell your parents that you are sexually active
CrimsonCriminal
Activist
Member # 20650

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CrimsonCriminal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey, mom, dad, I know that dinner is mighty tasty but listen to me for a sec - eventhough you explicitly told me not to, I have been screwing like a rabbit for the last 5 months!"

*CHOKE COUGH CHOKE EERP!*

"Dude, I better like, call an ambulance or something..."

I kept a boyfriend secret for a monthn and when I told mom she told me "kiss and hug all you want, but wait till you're older to do something hotter".

I waited 2 weeks. I'm sick of it being a secret, all of those worries that I will be caught, staring at the clock and always looking out for when they come back home, not nice at all. My BF is a lot more open about it with his parents.
Him: Don't call me when I'm late from school on this particular day.

Parents: Um, why?

Him: I'M F***ING!

Parents: Okay dear. Cover your head.

Yes.

Posts: 105 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smilee_kylie
Activist
Member # 20046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smilee_kylie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally feel that when I do start having sex with my boyfriend, there's no need for me to let my parents know. Is it imperative they know? You don't have to tell them. But if you feel you really want, obviously you are not gunna blurt out that you've been humping like rabbits over dinner. Choose the right moment. Maybe when your mum and dad are sitting quietly, reading a book or something (try to catch them when they're in a good mood) and just tell them you thought they'd appreciate knowing that you've gone to the next level with your boyfriend. Also make it clear that you've been smart about it and used protection and that you guys were sure about it etc. Your parents will appreciate that you at least thought it through, even if this might not be the case . If they get upset about it, just apologise and tell them you never meant to hurt them but that you are being responsible and then remind them that at least your letting them know.
Posts: 58 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, smiley....

NOT telling your parents may not seem like such a bad idea until something happens, and all the sudden you're both having nervous breakdowns because of a pregnancy scare or STD or STI possibility.

I'm not saying that something like this happens to every couple who doesn't tell their parents that they are having sex, but it does happen. And it can come as a major shock to parents, who had such trust in their teens, and thought they would tell them. Of course, come parents don't care, but if you're talking about the average mom and dad, I'd want to know if my child was having sexual intercourse.

It's better in the long run to tell them, because, sooner or later, they will find out. You can't hide it forever. So, better to have their trust and support if something does happen than to possibly lose it and have it come as a huge surprise if they don't.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely.

I know it's hard to let your parents know. But if you don't, and they find out... they probably won't trust you again for a very long time. Even if they will be angry no matter what, they need to accept what you are/were doing because it is reality (reality is that doesn't go away when we stop believing in it). As my parents told me, "Speaking he truth can only help your case, hiding it does just the opposite."

I suggest printing some things off of this site that might help you *major hint* and try not to bring it up while they are eating something. Perhaps you will have success in showing them that you are a responsible young woman who really does know a few things too. Even if you dont, what is the worst possible thing that can happen?

-------------------------- www.livejournal.com/users/coolestdesignz/
One LJ to Rule Them All
The Blog That Tries Desperately Not to be a Blog

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.