Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » What Gives?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Gives?
TheOriginalMexicanPimp!
Neophyte
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheOriginalMexicanPimp!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello oh great knowledgable ones, I'm in a bit of a fix and I was hoping to get some advice from some level-headed people.
I'm 16. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I have had a number of girlfriends in the past, and believe myself to be well with the ladies. Now here I am, sophomore in high school, and gf-less for over a year. I find myself the proverbial object of affection of a number of girls, but the problem is that after a couple of relationships I've found that I want more out of them. All my friends tell me I should take advantage of the girls who like me but frankly, I just couldn't do that. I'm a likable guy, mature, communicates well, but I can't seem to find a girl I honestly want to have a relationship with. I've searched other schools and still I find that no girl keeps my interest for long. Everyone around me seems to be hooking up right and left, and I'm beginning to think I'll have to lower my standards. Tell me, are guys like me hopeless?

BTW: I am neither Mexican, nor a pimp. I simply love the phrase, is all.

[This message has been edited by TheOriginalMexicanPimp! (edited 10-27-2003).]

Posts: 2 | From: Ohio! >=D | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheOriginalMexicanPimp!:
Tell me, are guys like me hopeless?

Well, I dunno dude. I live a stone's-throw from Mexico, but darned if I've ever seen a Mexican Pimp before...

I'd like to introduce you to a nice old adage BuinGranny once told me when I was just a wee BruinBoy. "A watched kettle never boils." Heard of it? Quite famous, with varieties that span cultures, languages, and continents. Why so popular? Because it's completely true. That which we look for becomes much more difficult to find when we're spending every waking hour trying to find it.

Counterintuitive as it sounds, you are living proof that it's true. You're "searching" all over the place, including other schools, and are coming up short. Why not stop looking and wait for things to come your way?

I know that when I was younger, I was lookin' all over the place too...just because I didn't know any better. And the more I looked, the more disenchanted I became when I couldn't find what I was looking for. So I decided I'd give it up, focus on other things...and voila. In she came via the back door.

And you're right not to want to take advantage of people. It's a pretty insidious thing to do, and I'd not expect that from such a likeable, mature chap. Glad to hear you know better than that.

For now though, just tone it down a bit, bud. Healthy self-confidence is a good thing, but even the coolest pimps need to take it easy every now and then. Stop searching and start enjoying where you are right here and now, and see where that gets you. Sometimes the life you are after really is hidden in plain sight.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOriginalMexicanPimp!
Neophyte
Member # 15276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheOriginalMexicanPimp!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This username was a bad idea...But now that I have it, I can't change it. Oh well.

That's interesting advice, but I've also heard completely contradictory advice as well. I've been told if you wait around for a girl to just walk into your life, you're disillusioning yourself. You have to go out there and find someone, or else you're going to wind up alone. You sound like you've got personal experience, though. So are you saying I should just chill and enjoy the moment and not worry about meeting someone and hope that somehow I run into them? I suppose that makes sense. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | From: Ohio! >=D | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheOriginalMexicanPimp!:
So are you saying I should just chill and enjoy the moment and not worry about meeting someone and hope that somehow I run into them?

Precisely, señor . There is a very large gulf between going overboard in your search for the perfect mate, and sitting at home alone all day waiting for your dreamgirl to crawl through the window. It is the center of that gulf that you should shoot for...an area of balance where you're keeping your options open but not spending every waking moment trying to figure out where to find your soulmate.

It may not be easy to find, but that's what I'd be shooting for if I were you.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.