Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Confused...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused...
Solumn
Neophyte
Member # 15228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Solumn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So. There is this guy I like, right? We've been friends for years, and I've liked him for nearly as long as we've known each other. I think he likes me too, but I can never be too sure with him - he's hard to read, and I never know if he's being serious or not.

So the other day, we were working side by side in class, and joking/flirting/talking. Then he says, quietly, "Maybe we should go out." And I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not, and I didn't want to agree and be screwed over...

Now we're back to the close friend stage again... We talk/joke/laugh, but he seems rather... quiet. No more flirting. I have the horrible feeling I've crushed him.

I'd loveeee some advice, if anyone's got any for me. What should I do? Should I bring it up again? What should I say to him?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Solumn:
Should I bring it up again? What should I say to him?

Heeeyy, he sounds like me! Gotta be careful with those clowns...sometimes they'll try and sneak in some heartfelt words in between jokes, so just in case they get ridiculed they can pass it off as just another bit of comedy. Goodness knows I've used that routine often enough, it's about as common in high school as pleated cheerleader skirts.

The question for you is how far you want to take it. Do you want to go out with him? Is this the kind of person you always have some sort of romantic tension with, but whom you will never date? Or is this someone you are willing to bet the friendship on?

If you're drooling right now, the answer is probably to bring it up to him again. It need not be complex, something simple like "Remember what you said to me the other day?" would do nicely. Try and pick a private moment if you can...a time when nobody else is there to distract or belittle either of you, a place where you can be honest without feeling self-conscious.

By you bringing it up, it gives you the upper hand in the conversation. If he seems put off by the topic, if he bristles, or if he seems ashamed, you can drop the course of conversation easily and change the subject. If, however, he seems interested in it and responds, the ball is pushed back into your court. And now is your time to come in with your "I think that is a great idea" line. (Dress it up a bit, though!)

In essence, he's already made the first move for you. All you have to do is pick up where he left off and see if he wants to discuss the matter any further. Be as gentle as possible, and don't do it when other people are around, and I'll bet things go fine. I wish you the best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Solumn
Neophyte
Member # 15228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Solumn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! Boys like you are so annyoing! ;D I brought it up today in the hall... But he didn't remember what I was talking about. I didn't out right -say- that was what I was talking about, but I mentioned that day, and asked him if he was being serious or not.

He didn't remember. Aarrgh. So now I'm back to square one. And its the weekend... Sigh...

Thanks anyway.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.