Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » there's this guy...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: there's this guy...
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for a while now I've really liked this guy. I hang out with him alot because we have this big group of friends and we just all hang out all the time at school on weekends etc...

Anyways, I really do like him, but I'm extremely shy, and he always tries to strike up conversations, and I get this big wave of shyness, and I only give short answers and like walk away, or just start up a conversation with someone else.

This is beginning to be a problem, because I think he likes me too, and I don't know how I can make myself unshy.. I never know what to say.

And also I would say that I'm also kinda of scared to get in to a relationship because my last boyfriend was my first serious one and I was really hurt, and it took me ages and ages to get over him, and I was really depressed for a really long time, and I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Anyways.. My main question is how can I be "un-shy" and make myself not afraid to get hurt.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duelist
Neophyte
Member # 14471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duelist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Yay, Toronto!)

I'm super shy when it comes to stuff like this too, and I find that the best way to get "un-shy" is just plunge yourself right in. Like, next time you and your friends are all hanging out together, sit beside him. Say more than two words. Keep a conversation going next time he strikes one up (if you're not ready to strike one up yourself, that is) by asking questions or...talking about the weather, or...Ben and J-Lo, whatever tickles your fancy. It'll get easier and easier as you keep it up.
And as for making yourself unafraid of getting hurt, I think that fear will disappear as long as you keep getting to know him on a one-on-one basis (and liking what you're discovering about him). Things like these happen naturally, but what you need to do right now is just plunge yourself in, it'll only get easier.

Er, hope I helped.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.