Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Confidence...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confidence...
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

Icon 5 posted      Profile for vballchck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you build confidence or courage to talk to someone? i like this boy *Henry* and he went to the beach for spring break..he wasn't at school all this week. but anyways, when he gets back i want to ask him how it was..like on email..you know. and tell him what he missed at school. but i'm too shy to talk to him. like i never talk to him..and right...i'm really really shy. and it would be really odd and random if i imed him . but anyways. how can i build up enough confidence to im him or talk to him or something? would asking how his trip was and telling him what he missed a good reason to im him? or what would be a good reason to im him? i'm really nervous..what do you think i should do???
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 6 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a perfect conversation starter!
It's hard to get up the nerve to talk to someone, especially someone that you have a thing for because you're trying extra-hard not to make a complete fool of yourself! But remember, he's just a guy! There are millions of them walking around the world - and except for maybe the Pope, none of them are any better than you! I'm sure you're terrific!

Plus, some guys like girls who take initiative..maybe you'll get your foot in the door! **wink wink, nudge nudge**

Just ignore the butterflies in your belly and go for it! You have the ice-breaker, just act on it!

Good Luck!!

------------------
"The drama queen is 17 and sleeping with the boys for free - she's got a reputation of being easy.."

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't push anything straight away, just casually chat to him. Like as you pass each other say
"Hey, how was the trip?"
IMing someone is also good, no matter how random it may seem to you, it's easier to talk online because you don't have other people hanging around and you don't have to worry about getting embarassed (at least until you meet him again irl)

Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vballchck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i don't think i could say it to him face-to-face...atleast not yet. but do you think it would work w/out making a complete fool of myself? a long time ago i talked to him..and he was wondering why i was talking to him..so now i'm kinda scared to talk to him. but it could work? he is kinda one of those popular guys..not really..but he likes the popular girls..the real cute prepy type..he hasn't had that many girlfriends..so yeah
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaspberryGiggles
Neophyte
Member # 12522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaspberryGiggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he's giving off the vibe as if he doesn't want to talk to you because you don't fit the requirements for being the so-called "popular girl", then is he worth the trouble? If that's his number one priority in having a girlfriend or a simple friend to talk to, then I don't think he's worth your million butterflies in your tummy and your precious time.

But then again, you never really know until you get to know him, right? Like the others said above, go for it...strike up a conversation and get to know him. What he may seem on the outside may be completely different from who he is inside.

Posts: 9 | From: Japan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vballchck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*update*

i imed him today. i played the *sry wrong im thing* but i still asked him where he was. he said he moved to south carolina. i didn't believe it. but then he told me he was in myrtle beach..but then he said *brb* and haven't heard from him since..its been like 10 minutes..since he said that..so i have a feeling he just wanted to stop talking.. i'll keep ya posted..but i started to shake when i imed him. but i'm glad i built up my confidence..lol

he signed off :-(

[This message has been edited by vballchck (edited 04-22-2003).]

butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 4 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! That's a bit insane, don't you think?

Don't let him get you discouraged.
Not that I know the entire situation or anything, but he seemed rather, well, rude. Hmmm...
Congrats to you though, for having the confidence to make the first move and all!

And by the way, you said before that he likes 'popular girls' or whatever. That doesn't mean a thing darling. It's all a stereotype and in high school, can anyone really say that they have a 'type'? I mean, personally, I usually am attracted to guys with brown hair and brown eyes, but I won't not date someone just because they don't meet those requirements.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

------------------
"The drama queen is 17 and sleeping with the boys for free - she's got a reputation of being easy.."

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

well i was telling a friend about it and someone was at her house..so now that person knows too..i didn't really want her to know because i'm scared she will tell people... i mean the way she is acting is seriously scaring me. she is basically friends w/ one person..but she could tell others..cause they talk..but i wouldn't mind this one person knowing..except...*henry* and her are kinda friends. if they weren't ever friends i would of told her myself.

but now i think the wrong person knows and i'm scared i don't want her to tell anyone.

CarrotGlase
Neophyte
Member # 12686

Icon 6 posted      Profile for CarrotGlase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happened to me sorta, I am always get nervous when I talk to people I like...so I never talk in the first place. I told my friend who I like and we got in a little fight and like everyone in my grade was making fun of me. But I wouldn't be worried, if that girl only had like one friend do you think other people that hate her would belive it? Or you can pretend to get mad at her so when she tells people there think shbe is trying to get you back lol
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ravenclawbeater14
Neophyte
Member # 9218

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ravenclawbeater14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey guess who lol! but neways you have gotta talk to *Henry* before the year is over maybe before exams start...?! that would be a good time for you to talk to him you guyz would look soo cute! just start talking to him in the morning before school that would be a good time to cuz he probably would be with less of his friends but as you know i'm not there in the morning so i'm not sure... i'm gonna talk to north carolina soon i'm gonna talk to him in science soon...yayness!!! but you definantaly gotta talk to him just think that your talking to one of your friends its alot easier that way...i dunno what else to say lol i'll see ya later!
lylas~
Nealne (lol)

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.