Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Parents and talking about sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents and talking about sex
West1001
Activist
Member # 8317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for West1001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Ya'll,
So I just had a thought here, my mom and I were watching Dr.Phil, and the topic of sex and the parts involved came up. Now I've always been one to call a mans reproductive organ a penis, and a females, the vagina. My mother on the other hand, refers to them as Dooey, or the "part". It bothers me because I'm nearly 20 and my mother still can't say the actual words to me. Like I'm a 4 year old. So when she said "dooey" I replied, "ya know mum, it's called a penis" and she got all mad at me, saying it's dirty.

I just think that when I have kids I want them to learn the proper names, and learn to not be ashamed of their body parts, or sex because it's a very natural and beautiful thing.

Do you think it's right to teach your children to call their parts, "dinky", or "doodle"? Why can't parents just be honest?

Posts: 99 | From: Vancouver, BC, CANADA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if I ever had kids, I would teach them the correct terms for their genitals. Kids shouldn't be misinformed in anyway about their own bodies. As long as you teach them the actual word in the first place, I think it's okay to use the 'kiddie-slang' terms sometimes, if appropriate at the time, but if your trying to be serious, I would use the correct term for it.

Sorry if that's kind of confusing, but that's my opinion.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a school of thought around that says if children are taught the proper terms (and to a limited degree, the functions) for their genitals, they are less likely to be induced into a sexually abusive encounter at a young age. I can't remember where I read that, but it seems a logical point to me.
Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omoni
Neophyte
Member # 11367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh.

It drives me crazy when people don't use the right and proper terms for the human genetalia. How can it be dirty when it's what they are called? Using such rediculous terms just makes them sound silly and inane! If I ever have kids I am never using those words, or dumbing it down for kids.

If you're 20 and she still uses those words, it's not really your fault. It just means she was raised that way. Good for you for going another path =3

------------------
"I would rather see the world from a different angle..."

--Jewel

Posts: 29 | From: Misssissuaga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think sometimes parents try to be careful not to teach kids 'too much' about sex because they're afraid of what their kids will repeat. Most parents are fine with their kids knowing a bit about where babies come from, but when one of the kids in the know relays that information to a more conservative child, or their parents, the results can be pretty disastrous.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Sink, swim, go down with the ship, but use your freedom of choice!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even when I was young, I identified my reproductive parts by their function. For example, I had a "pee hole" and a "baby hole." My mom of course told me more as I got older, but the practial names made me understand.
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of don't want my kids to go through what I did, my parents didn't talk about sex with me at all, and when I was going to college my mom said that she didn't knwo how much I knew (thanks scarleteen, chickclick and others, I am not ignorant). So my kids should learn that they could trust me and talk freely with me. And yeah, proper terms are part of the plan!

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
West1001
Activist
Member # 8317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for West1001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats the same with me, growing up my mother never said a word to me about sex, and she still can't, it's like, she's ashamed of it or something. She cringed when I said "penis." I totally want my kids to feel comfortable talking to me.
Posts: 99 | From: Vancouver, BC, CANADA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EddiesAssassin
Neophyte
Member # 12541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EddiesAssassin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think thats kind of rediculous dude, I mean as I was reading I was like "yeah yeah...what the hell!" your mom is telling you this when your 20 years old. Geez. I totally think that my kids should be treated like they can know what those parts are before they even hit double digits at least, never would I wait for there adult lives.

------------------
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Ride it

Posts: 11 | From: TIburon, CA, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.