Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Inexperience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inexperience
RiffRaff
Neophyte
Member # 10576

Icon 5 posted      Profile for RiffRaff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, first post here.
I'm a 17 year old guy, with very little experience in the world of relationships and sex. I've only had one girlfriend in my life(a very short relationship), and am a virgin. I consider myself to be likable, mature for my age, and people tell me I'm attractive, but I very rarely find girls that I'm interested in, and usually when I do they're a fair bit older than me (my friends also tend to be older). It's becoming so common to see older guys with much younger girls, but for younger guys who don't see much in girls their age it's rather difficult.
Recently, a co-worker introduced me to a friend of her's, who is 23 years old. We hit it off, and have hung out a few times since. I like her a lot, and the friend who introduced us tells me that the feeling is mutual. But there's a catch-22: I feel like I'm too inexperienced to enter into a relationship with someone that much older, but people my age don't really interest me, and thus I won't be gaining experience that way.
So that's my problem, and my mind has been tossing it around quite a bit lately. If anyone has any input on my situation, it would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
RiffRaff

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would assume that a 23 year old woman would expect a 17 year old young man to be less experienced than her. This may be what attracts her. Don't worry about that.

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to keep in mind is that age doesn't necessarily equate maturity or experience. Just because someone's a few years older than you are doens't mean that they've had more experience, either romantically or sexually.

What it ultimately boils down to is whether or not you're interested in persuing a realtionship with this person. Really, how much of an issue the age disparity, which truthfully isn't that great of one as far as physical age differences go, is to you and this potential partner.

The law could come into affect, I should note, accodring to your states Age of Consent statute and whether or not this would become a sexual relationship.

Really, though, it depends on you and your partner's feelings about experience, age, and maturity factors.

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiffRaff
Neophyte
Member # 10576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiffRaff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that yes, it is legal where I live.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just remeber- everyone was inexperience at one time

------------------
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.