Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Love vs. In Love

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Love vs. In Love
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think there's a difference between loving someone and being IN love with them? I could think of some examples, like: i love my mom and my cat...but i'm not IN love with them.

What i'd really like to know, is if there's a transition between loving your romantic partner and being in love with him/her.

Any ideas/opinions? I'm very curious...

p.s. i couldnt imagine why there wouldnt be a topic like this already, but when i did a search i didnt come up with anything! I hope i wasnt mistaken!

------------------
Bacon bits and jalapenos on my Polish hot dog.
Half a pound of potato chips and a beef jerky log.
I press my face to the window, a wrapper sticks to my shirt.
Eight people in a stinky van, a couple more couldn't hurt.

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely.

A few months ago, when my Mom was deciding whether she'd stay with or divorce my Dad, one of the things she told me was "I can't decide if I love your Dad ... or if I'm in love with your Dad."

I love my best friend. But I'm not in love with her like I'm in love this boy.
When you love someone, you care about them a great deal, and you feel warm inside when you're around them. When you're in love with someone, you feel both wanting them sexually, romantically, whatever, and the caring for them and fuzziness.

I'd like to hear other members' opinions, too.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 06-16-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Daydreamer said . .. and then some.

As I understand it, love's about caring for someone, wanting them to be okay, wanting to do what you can to make that so. Being in love's about srong emotions, and attraction, and sexual desire. They can exist independently, and while the former'a just fine without the latter, being in love with someone is only likely to be a long-term thing if you love them too. So . . . I love my friends, and family, and I love the Beatles, and stereophonic sound (but this is another kind of love entirely, where it's just a matter of being very fond of something that you really have no control of at all), and I'm not in love with anyone.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deadlyvenom36
Neophyte
Member # 8688

Icon 3 posted      Profile for deadlyvenom36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that question has come to my mind many times. I had to realise the answer the hard way. I realised that I was in love with someone and that i just loved someone else. I had to stop a realtionship due to it. :'(
It's kinda hard to think about.

------------------
Me :P

Posts: 5 | From: Arleta, California, U.S. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a difference between being in love, and loving someone. i love my parents..and i love my friends...but im IN love with jason. there is a difference. completely and utterly, which i think its kind of dumb for people to keep on using it as a way to break up with people. OY!

------------------
*~remember the only thing we need sometimes are chilly nights and warmer thighs, cuz nothing is like being held...sometimes*~

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.