Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » the "moving on" stage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the "moving on" stage
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend and her boyfriend broke up and just yesterday she said she felt it was time to put away all the stuff from him to finally get past it. With my ex, after a couple weeks I replaced all the framed pictures of him/us (I had a lot!) with friends and celebrities I admired. So, I was just wondering if you guys have any rituals or things you do when moving on from a relationship?
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really had that many relationships to move on from. I guess my first (which lasted only two weeks before I broke up with him) counts. I'd liked this lad for about two years when we started going out and I was very much infatuated with the lad. The problem was that I barely knew him.

After I decided to end our would-be relationship, I just kind of put away the little mementos that reminded me of him and forgot about the whole ordeal. I know that must sound a bit harsh, but that's how it went.

Not terribly exciting, I know.

------------------
Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

-Incubus

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's important to recognize the loss ... Even if it's a small one. Whether the decision was yours or not, you're still going to missing one person from a certain part of your life ... And it hurts.

When i broke up w/ my last bf, I cried for about a week. Took bubble baths every nite, ate a lot of chocolate ice cream and bananas. I would call people and vent ... Ask them for their advice. But this only lasted a week. Too much longer than that and it's no longer healthy.

I put away all the stuffed animals, pictures and roses he gave me. He gave me my pet rat just 3 days before we broke up, but i still have her and love her to bits. That's one thing i couldn't get rid of, but i don't want to. She reminds me of the times we were happy ... Even that one day. Which is important too ... Relationships that go bad still have happy times, and it's important to focus on them too, once in a while.

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.