Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » online crush???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: online crush???
marionnette13
Neophyte
Member # 2678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marionnette13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it possible to have a real crush on someone you've never met, (well, talked online to, but never met for real) or is it just some strange part of my imagination playing around????

------------------
Marionnette

Posts: 10 | From: Brussels, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's possible to have a crush on someone you met online, if you mean a crush as in having romantic feelings for that person. The key is that you have to remember that it's quite possible that the picture you've painted of that person in your head may not be exactly who they are in real life. So if you decide to actually meet up with the person, please be extra careful, and don't give out alot of personal information. Just use good judgement and keep yourself safe.

You'll find that around here people are fairly open to the idea of love facilitated by the internet. Several of us met our significant others/partners/boyfriends/girlfriends/whoever else online. Ask around, everybody's glad to help in any way we can!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mack
Activist
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
people on the internet are not the same in real life. Why should they be? There is no way to tell who they really are.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my uncle is marrying a girl in june that he met online.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met my boyfriend through the Internet, in a chat room. We just celebrated our third year anniversary.

Of course it is possible to fall for someone you met online. The person might be behind a computer screen but he/she still has a personality, a character right? So, it's absolutely natural.

But as Kitten said, always be wary. While you might think that the person is telling the absolute truth, you never really know.

And when it comes to meeting this person, you might want to do so in either a public place or with a friend. You can never be too safe.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to say about internet relationships, because the internet lets a whole bunch more people be assholes to people attrac

While I met my girlfriend over the internet and we hve a great relationship, I've seen SO MANY people hurt by them... a housemate of mine is flying to Canada this Easter to see a girl he only started talking to a few months ago. If that amounts to anything, I will be so schocked.

In short, internet relationships aren't necessarily to be avoided, but certainly I wouldn't recommend that you go looking for them,and you'll probably just get hurt if you have a crush...

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 03-01-2001).]

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its possible. Have you ever had an imaginary friend? Its what you want and what you want your best friend to act and look like.

You can like them, you are creating their image from what they tell you they look like and thats ok. Just be careful, creating an image is ok, but sometimes the image doesnt turn out the way you want to be.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's VERY possible to have a crush on someone you've never met. For example, I have a friend who was over at my house when a guypal of mine phoned up. While I had to run and finish something else, I left her to talk to him on the phone. When I'd returned, they'd both hung up and she was telling me how interesting he sounded and how she was very attracted to him. And she had spent only a little while on the phone with him. Not to mention the fact that she had no idea what he looked like.

Not too long after their conversation they met in person and the sparks just didn't fly. They became good friends, though, and thus gained something else unexpected.

An online crush is like any other crush in the way that it may or may not work out. There is one element you must be aware of in online crushes, or any other crushes where you don't meet the person face-to-face: nothing is entirely upfront. It is much easier to bend the truth when you aren't face-to-face than it is in person. Just be careful and keep yourself protected, but don't close yourself off to any potential connections. Get to know your crush a little better as time goes by and perhaps one day you will be able to meet in person and see how that connection fares!

All the best!

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.