Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » family dinner...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: family dinner...
fLoWuRz
Activist
Member # 2047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fLoWuRz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, turns out my grandparents are going to be in town on business the same time my boyfriends grandparents are visiting him. so, my mom suggested we have a big family dinner (me,my brother,parents and grandparents, and my bf and his mom and granparents) at our place to get to know everyone. well, both our grandparents are very religious...so they've already got something in comun. however, theres a small problem...he's catholic and i'm protestant. and my grandfather is still all caught up on that whole catholics vs. protestant crap. i dont want something like this to ruin a good dinner. any advice?
Posts: 56 | From: to,cnd | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just lay low. talk about some common things that can't get you into a troublesome area. i'm sure that your family doesn't want to meet these people and have a fight with them, they are probably a lot more worried about your happiness then you think. O, but don't forget to mention to your grandparents that you'll be having some *extra special* guests. Smiles

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think that if it were me, I'd make sure that I'd talked to my grandparents about it before-hand. That or maybe have your parents bring it up with them. Just explain very politely that they have a different beliefs system than your grandparents do, but that you really like your boyfriend and would appreciate it if an effort was made to make this a peaceful meal. For me, at least, it would be better to get the subject out in the air ahead of time so it could be dealt with rather than wait until it springs up around the table.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I say talk to your parents and ask them what you should do. While lilnerd and Kitten Goddess's ideas are good ones, the result could go either way.

If you don't tell and it comes up during dinner, things could get really awkward. If you tell but your grandfather doesn't accept what you are saying, it could be an uncomfortable affair as well.

Your parents should know your grandparents better so ask them if you should tell or not. And at least whatever the decision is, you know you've got your parents on your side. Gd luck hun and I hope all goes well.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also want to just trust both of your grandparents manners and etiquette. It really isn't good form to discuss religion at the dinner table with new guests.

Older people tend to be a little more particular about traditional etiquette and table manners, and that is a fairly widespread tenet.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.