Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » How do I tell my mom??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I tell my mom??
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 5 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been seing a guy for 5 months now, and we have been having sex. The problem is that I haven't told my mother. She has always told me that if, and when, I feel like having sex, to just tell her and that she will get me on birth control. I really want to tell her, because I feel like she should know, and I want to be able to talk to her about it. I also dont like keeping things from her. But I am afraid that when I tell her, she may be upset and make it so that I cant see my boyfriend as much. Can you please give me some advice on how to tell her besides just flat out telling her. I dont even know how to bring it up!! Please help.
Posts: 38 | From: MO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! My mother said the same thing, and even though i havent taken advantage of it yet, it will be hard for me to tell her unless im like 30..LoL. I think you should start out maybe by having a day with just you and her, maybe fix her dinner or take her out and just explain how you feel for this person and also tell her the time has come and you hope she understands!

[This message has been edited by d1TzY8 (edited 03 July 2000).]

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay...but how do i start the convo??? also, i think (actually i KNOW) that she is going to tell my dad, who is REALLY protective of me. he is always telling me not to "get to serious" :rooleyes: if she tells him, i am almost POSITIVE that he will make it so that we cant be alone....
Posts: 38 | From: MO | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just start out maybe by saying that you reaalllly like this person and kinda remind her of what she said about the birth control. And then as a women, Im sure she has things she has told people and didnt want them to tell anyone, so kinda tell her that its private and you wouldnt want her telling your dad or anyone else. Do you have ICQ?!
Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Another thing, are you at an age where you think your old enough to make the rite decision about having sex?! Depending on how young you are, I dont think my mom would want me having sex at the age of 14...but if your older, it shouldnt be as big of a problem so to speak..
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am 15...almost 16
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amber,
It sounds to me like if your mother invited you to talk to her when it all started happening that she is okay with it, on whatever level. Someone who would be very upset about it wouldn't usually make that sort of invitation.

Perhaps the thing to do is to tell your Mom now that you'd like to have a talk with her that is important. When you arrange that, just tell her what you have here. That you ARE sexually active, and that you want to tell her because you don't like keeping things from her, and you want to be able to talk aboput it.

From the sounds of things, you have nothing to worry about at all, and in fact, it will probably make you both feel BETTER when you tell her. Go for it.

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 14 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you miz scarlet!! i'll try it, and let you know how things turn out....
SurfGal
Activist
Member # 316

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SurfGal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tough one. You are just going to have to take your mother at her word. She will probably get upset, but think about the possible consequences of NOT telling her? Being young and pregnant is NOT easy. I think that as hard as it may seem, asking your mom for the pill will be much easier than telling her later that you are pregnant.
Posts: 81 | From: Jacksonville, FL. 32218 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Thats true surfgal...if your mom gets like totally like steaming mad, then maybe it was a wrong call to tell you that you could be on the pill...just a thought..
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is SOOOOO MUCH better to tell her! If she finds out on her own, it could be much worse!!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberbabe03
Neophyte
Member # 385

Icon 12 posted      Profile for amberbabe03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone,
as of now, i havent talked to her about it. that is mainly b/c i havent had a chance to be alone with her. i will try and muster up the courage and tell her soon, (as soon as i know that we can be alone)!! i'll keep ya updated....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.