Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SHOP TALK » Article Questions & Chat » Pink Slip: Your First Gynecologist Visit (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pink Slip: Your First Gynecologist Visit
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can go with or without your mum. that's your choice. but it's good to have some kind of moral support on your first trip. maybe another relative or a good friend?

as for cost, i dunno how it works in Aus. In the US, we pay for stuff. Beppie would know, though.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

Icon 10 posted      Profile for $@mm!3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thankyou..
does it hurt?
and im not sure if i shld have a female or male doc?

Posts: 7 | From: nsw | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it only hurts if you are tense and nervous. the first few times, i was kinda freaked out, and i was howling bloody murder. but then i mellowed out and realized that it wasn't bad at all. the hard part is getting accustomed to how it feels to have someone tinkering around your genitals. i had always guarded mine pretty closely, so letting anyone near them was difficult. you just have to breathe deep and accept it.

as for male or female, you are allowed to take that into account when you choose a gynecologist. both genders do an equally good job. some folks feel more comfortable with a female gynecologist. i do, but i will take whoever's available. i'm also a good sport and allow medical students to practice on me. it helps when i talk them through the examination because i can tell they're more nervous than me

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$@mm!3
Neophyte
Member # 27615

Icon 10 posted      Profile for $@mm!3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea..
thankyou for your help..
i am goin 2 book an appointment...
i think id rather female doctor..nd i m onli 14 so yea

Posts: 7 | From: nsw | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mae
Neophyte
Member # 28511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just wanted to post about this topic too. I have to go in for a routine GYN exam . I began going to the dr. for these from the time I was 15 yrs. old .I'm in my late 20's and STILL I get very nervous about going in for these . But I know that they are very important to my health. My last exam I had me worried tho. My dr. said I was fine , and everything was okay . However she wanted to refer me onto get my hymen cut off , which I call my Jungfernhäutchen (it's German for hymen). To say I was shocked and replied " Cut off ? ... I don't think so ." I told her. What I was born with and what God (or whomever)put there stays on me. I was just shocked that after 4 yrs. of seeing my dr. she would bring this up. She wanted me to go to my local Planned Parenthood to have them give me the "chop" down there so to speak. Personally I have dealt with my local Planned Parenthood before in the past and I had a VERY scary experience with those people and never went back. Let me say that I had sex previously (I'm not a virgin). But what I have done was read up on all that I could about still having a hymen in my late 20's. Though I don't believe this to be uncommon , what shocked me is that my current dr. urged me to get my hymen removed surgically. I don't experience any pain from it still being there. I don't believe in using tampons because of the TSS syndrome(toxic shock syndrome). Whenever I do have sex with my BF we take it slow and always practice safe sex all the time. So here again I'm about to go in and get another GYN exam done. This time I may drag my boyfriend in with me incase the dr. tries to get me to have my hymen removed. I view it like this , "if it ain't broke don't fix it." My boyfriend and I talked honestly about this and he thinks if it poses no threat to my health it should stay and he has no complaints. And I agree with my man . But it still worries me that the dr. would even bring this hymen removal topic to me . I'm just one of those rare women that still has hers and it won't break anytime soon. Any replies or advice on this would greatly be appericiated and ease my worry. Has any other woman had this happen to them in a GYN exam about hymen removal? Or am I the only one ? I plan to stand by my decision if my Dr. keeps pestering me about it and my decision will still be no.

--------------------
"lady of the lamp" Florence Nightingale(1820-1910) believed that a nurse's work never ceased day or night .

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your hymenal tissue is not bothering you, then there's no reason for a hymenectomy. None. Women have even given BIRTH with some forms of semi-intact hymens. So.

And it's not that rare: most hymens don't "break," they erode over time, and the rate of that wearing away varies widely.

If this doc gives you trouble about it, it's time for a new one.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mae
Neophyte
Member # 28511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Miz Scarlet ,
Thanks so much for your reply to my post . I highly agree with you . I assume my dr. made a big issue over it because she can't find anything else to tell me , other than to take my Calcium and Vitamin D (which I know of already) not taking it will cause Osteoperosis ( thinning/ weakening of the bones)when I get to be way older (forgive my spelling and grammar errors). Other than that I'm a non-smoker, non- drinker and I enjoy riding my bicycle everyday . Thanks for the reply . I will keep this in mind when I have to go in next time . Take care .- Mae

--------------------
"lady of the lamp" Florence Nightingale(1820-1910) believed that a nurse's work never ceased day or night .

Posts: 2 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<jennegirl>
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if the doctor uses lube for any kind of insertion.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is common for a gyn to use a little bit of lube to help with speculum insertion. You can always ask your doctor whether or not they'll do this.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5768 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they only use lube if they're not taking any swabs ... Lube can affect the test results, so they'll often use warm water on the speculum instead.

Once all swabs are taken, s/he'll likely use lube for the bimanual exam.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swabs...you mean when they swab your cervix? Or other swabs?

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either one.

I've never had a Dr. lube the speculum when i've gone for a Pap test.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to a gyno...I'm not sexual active *is a virgin* but I know it's still important. Last year I was at a health clinic and they tried to give me a pap smear (they weren't forcing me or anything, lol), but it was so uncomfortable, partially because I am a virgin who has never been penetrated (I know it can be uncomfy for nonvirgins, but I think we deserve a bit more sympathy, lol), so I gave up, and they said OK (told you they didn't force me, lol). I want to try again, but I'm very nervous. Very...

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me
Before I need anyone else

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't yet been sexually active, you don't actually need a pap smear.

So, all you need to do is let your GYN know you're not yet, and have not yet been sexually active in any respect (if that's the case). Once they know that, they should not suggest one.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for biblacknproud87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually heard that you do need a pap smear even if you are not sexually active, because there are other illnesses that can form that have nothing to do with sexual activity, which actually makes more sense to me.

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me

Posts: 35 | From: New York...New Brunswick, New Jersey when I'm in school | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

That's true, but those can be detected via a bimanual exam and blood and urine tests, and only if a cervical issue, specifically, is suspected via those, would a pap then also be necessary.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

biblacknproud87
Neophyte
Member # 30415

oooh ok...thanks for the info! I've still never been to a gyno though, and I need to go whether I get a pap or not.

[ 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: biblacknproud87 ]

--------------------
I'm lovely
I'm beautiful
I love myself
I need me

Heather
Member # 3

Yep! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

jewelly
Neophyte
Member # 33287

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great article and great thread. I've never been to a gynecologist. Just the thought of it makes me light-headed. But I'm gonna do it ...
Posts: 5 | From: Indiana | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.