Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy Scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency Contraception, Pregnancy Scared
R.A.V.T.
Neophyte
Member # 92285

Icon 4 posted      Profile for R.A.V.T.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I'm having a bit of a panic crisis here. My girlfriend and I have talked about being responsible and visiting a gynecologyst in order for her to get a proper contraceptive method, however last night things got out of control. She has had intercourse before, but it was my first time, so I was really scared about doing it, however I brought condoms with myself preventing that things would get out of control. So at some point, she placed a condom on my genitals and I penetrated her for a couple of seconds, but then I told her I wanted to stop cuz I was so nervous and she understood. However afterwards we had some manual sex and I ejaculated, not near her vulva, and I went to wash up with soap and water, but afterwards she rubbed my penis on her vulva. I've been reading posts and articles in Scarleteen, and I realize that this posts pregnancy risks, specially because I ejaculated a couple of minutes before and my precum would be carrying sperm from that ejaculation. So, the few seconds my penis was inside her vagina, it was covered by a condom, but then there was some direct genital contact for a couple of seconds, just on the outside. This happened around 12:00 p.m.

Right after that, I talked to her and told her there was risk and that I wished that if she was ok with it, to take Emergency Contraception, and she agreed. So she got Levonorgestrel, the box has 2 pills of .75 mg each, she took the first one around 10:30 a.m. (10.5 hours after the risky action)and she will take the other one in a couple of hourse (12 hours after the first pill).

She has a planned visit to her gynecologyst next wednsday, and I tole her to tell her Dr. that she took EC just to check that everything is alright.

I've read that EC can be up to 98% efficient if taken before the first 24 hours after the risky action. Having that I didn't ejaculate inside her, and that whenever my penis was inside her it was covered by a condom, and that direct contact lasted a couple of seconds because I was so scared, and she took EC.

Can I be sure that she won't get pregnant? I mean, this is causing me a lot of stress (she doesn't seem to be stressed at all), and I've talked to her so we slow down things and wait till she gets her contraceptives recepie from her Dr. in order to have sex, and I wish to keep using condoms together with whatever contraceptive her Dr. tells her to use.

Thank you so much.

Posts: 10 | From: America | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can ever say whether someone will or won't get pregnant. As you know from all the reading you've done here, you and your girlfriend have done all the things necessary to ensure that pregnancy won't happen. As you probably also read, the only way to know whether someone is or isn't pregnant is to take a pregnancy test 14 or more days after a pregnancy risk, or when a period is late, whichever comes first. This can either be done at home or at the gynecologist's office.

So, knowing that you've done everything you can do at this time, take a deep breath and do your best to relax. The odds are good that your girlfriend won't become pregnant, and at this point worrying won't change the outcome. *gentle smile*

Is there anything you'd like to talk about around making sexual choices that work for you, negotiating these with your girlfriend, etc?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.A.V.T.
Neophyte
Member # 92285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.A.V.T.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess you're right.. I'll have to wait till she gets her period or make her take a pregnancy test. If she gets her period in the next two weeks, is it an accurate sign that she isn't pregnant? How effective is EC if she took it barely 10 hours after the risk? Is it true that it is up to 98% efficient?

And well, I've talked to her, we decided to slow down and be responsible and get her an appropriate contraception method from her gynecologist.

Also, we really can't afford to have a baby right now, she's about to graduate from college and we can't have one. I'm not really sure if abortion is totally illegal here in Mexico, I really haven't ever thought about this before. What might our abortion options be?

Thank you so much, again.

Posts: 10 | From: America | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI There,

Yes, if she gets her period, you can safely assume that she's not pregnant.

One thing though: Taking a pregnancy test will need to be your girlfriend's choice. You can tell her that you're concerned, and that you would feel more at ease if she took a test, but whether or not she takes one is up to her.

The legality of abortion in Mexico varies from state to state. If it does turn out that your girlfriend is pregnant, we can look at the options the two of you have. Her gynecologist may also be a useful source of information on what options are available.

Since you're both not ready for a pregnancy, it sounds like making changes to your sexual activity would be a good idea. If it would be helpful, I've included a link listing the sexual activities that cannot and will not lead to pregnancy.

NO Pregnancy Risks

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.A.V.T.
Neophyte
Member # 92285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.A.V.T.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's What I meant, I didn't mean to sound like I would force her to take a pregnancy test, I'm pretty sure she would agree, she was already pretty supportive when I asked her to take the EC pills.

I'm still pretty nervous though, I guess this is natural because this was my first time. She has told me to calm down and that everything will be alright, I wish I could be as calmed as her. I think that all my fears come from the fact that my parents often emphasize on the fact that they would be very disappointed if I were to get a girl pregnant. I'm 24, I have a good job, I already have my college degree and I've been thinking of gettin married to her when she finishes school, its not like it would be a total catastrophe if she got pregnant, I just wanted to do things right, an get married to her before even talking about having a baby. Now that things got out of control, I'm scared tha a pregnancy would separate me from her, because of all the problems that young parenthood implies.

Seeing te high level of stress this causes me, I'm having a talk with her today, I'll tell her Im really not ready for that type of sexual activities. The link you gave was pretty useful, however I wish I would have seen all this before. I'm relying on the so called 98% efficiency of EC and if she doesn't get pregnant, we've decided to be more responsible about this from now on.

R.A.V.T.
Neophyte
Member # 92285

Yeah, that's What I meant, I didn't mean to sound like I would force her to take a pregnancy test, I'm pretty sure she would agree, she was already pretty supportive when I asked her to take the EC pills.

I'm still pretty nervous though, I guess this is natural because this was my first time. She has told me to calm down and that everything will be alright, I wish I could be as calmed as her. I think that all my fears come from the fact that my parents often emphasize on the fact that they would be very disappointed if I were to get a girl pregnant. I'm 24, I have a good job, I already have my college degree and I've been thinking of gettin married to her when she finishes school, its not like it would be a total catastrophe if she got pregnant, I just wanted to do things right, an get married to her before even talking about having a baby. Now that things got out of control, I'm scared tha a pregnancy would separate me from her, because of all the problems that young parenthood implies.

Seeing te high level of stress this causes me, I'm having a talk with her today, I'll tell her Im really not ready for that type of sexual activities. The link you gave was pretty useful, however I wish I would have seen all this before. I'm relying on the so called 98% efficiency of EC and if she doesn't get pregnant, we've decided to be more responsible about this from now on.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI R.A.V.T.,

It sounds like you and your girlfriend communicate really well with each other. That's really a wonderful thing and will continue to be so as you have good thins and challenges in your relationship.

Being nervous is understandable, particularly with the pressuring messages you've gotten from your family. Know though that you really have done everything you can.

I can understand it being frustrating and even disappointing that you didn't have this information before. It's a big frustration for all of us here at Scarleteen that accurate sex ed isn't more readily available and isn't provided to all young people.

You're doing a great job of educating yourself and making sure you get the information and help you need.

For what it's worth, based on what you described and the steps you've taken, the chances that your girlfriend is pregnant are low.

Please let us know if there's any other way we can help or support you?

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.