Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Kind of Worried

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kind of Worried
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix2784     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my boyfriend decided that the time was right to try to have sex. He ended up fingering me and I gave him a hand job. He tried to have sex but I pushed him off. I'm on the combination pill and I usually take it at 10-10:30pm. I accidently didn't look at the clock and ended up taking it around 1 or 2 am. I've been on the pill for over 3 years. I'm super worried that when he attempted penetration he could have gotten semen near my vagina. What would be the chance that I could be pregnant?? Any help would be appreciated at this point.
Posts: 55 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little unclear about when it was that you took your pill late? A couple of hours late is okay, and you took it as soon as you could so that's fantastic. Unless you've missed it completely other times, you're likely covered. The Pill has a 99% effectiveness rate for preventing pregnancy with perfect use, and 92% with typical use.

You're right that bare penis to vulva contact is a pregnancy risk, but you are on a very effective form of birth control.

The sexual activities you engaged in are also risky for STI transmission. Have you and your boyfriend been tested recently?

You said your boyfriend decided it was time for sex. What did you think?

Some more info about the pill is here:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoenix2784     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only missed a pill once and that was over 2 years ago. I took it with in a 6 hour window. We've both been tested very recently (Valentine's Day). I'm ok with the timing. I'm just worried because I'm a full time student and I'm not even close to being ready for kids. So I shouldn't be worried about the pregnancy risk??
Posts: 55 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missing a pill 2 years ago doesn't affect anything now. [Smile]

No, I see no reason to be concerned about pregnancy. If you're anxious, you can always take a home pregnancy test, but not until 14 days (or more) after the day of the sexual activity in question.

What do you think about using an additional birth control method so you feel less concerned about pregnancy risk?

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Co ntrol With a Second Method

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

We are going to use condoms as well.I was just out at the time and he was really "frisky". I ended up having to push him off.
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it typical for your boyfriend to decide the time is right for sex without consulting you about it? Partnered sex can't be decided by just one person, both people involved need to decide.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

I think it was just the heat of the moment. Something like that is normally out of character for him. I'm ready but it kinda just took me by surprise.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Is this something you'd like to talk to him about? Just to let him know that you were surprised?

Before you pushed him off, how did you let him know that this wasn't the right thing for you right now?

--------------------
Robin

Phoenix2784
Activist
Member # 58170

I let him know afterwards and he was ok with that. He knows that I have a lot on my plate with school right now. So I'm thinking of having a conversation about my beliefs in the buddy system when it comes to birth control. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Makes a lot of sense. [Smile]

You may find this helpful in having the conversation with him:
Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.