Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » HELPPPP! HIV TEST!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELPPPP! HIV TEST!
fball44
Neophyte
Member # 58263

Icon 9 posted      Profile for fball44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alright i think im being a nut but i just wanted to get this out. 3 years ago i had unprotected sex with my ex at the time TWICE for short amounts of time ie. i started with a condom and took it off for the last few minutes or so, dumb i know. we dated in the summer before she went off to college, and when she came back for break we resumed (again this is 3 years ago). while at college she was with only one guy.since then she has been tested for every std except HIV, and she has none. i had mono that ensuing summer but i was fine shortly after. im curruently in a relationship for over a year and feeling guilty. I was wondering if I should get an HIV test. Its been three years with no real signs i know there usually isnt but it seems like a long time. according to my ex im being crazy and she doesnt have aids and neither do i. I was just wondering if i should get a test or not. the only reason i think i might have hiv is because i had unprotected sex with her twice, thats it. HELP!
Posts: 6 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, it's not sound to decide if we need tests or not based on a partner or ex-partner's test results UNLESS they test positive, then for sure, we need testing.

But instead, everyone who has been sexually active needs their own testing, ideally around once a year, more often if they change or add partners more often than that.

As well, most STIs do not present noticeable symptoms in most people most of the time. The idea we can tell when we have an STI based on symptoms is dangerously false, and a big part of why world STI rates are so high.

So, why not go ahead and get started with annual testing now, for HIV but also all the other STIs you can get tested for?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sylar Kinesis
Neophyte
Member # 94768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylar Kinesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[post removed - this section is for staff & volunteer replies only]

[ 02-14-2012, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: KatWA ]

--------------------
I Love to Love..

Posts: 1 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.