Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » HIV related question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV related question
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I am a 19 year old girl who hasn't had any sexual contact with a person (that I can remember) other than through clothes for around 10 months. However, I was studying abroad in Italy for June and July and one night when I was out with my friends I blacked out halfway through the night, and I don't remember everything that happened. My friends promise that they kept a close watch on me while I danced with a stranger. I still remember his name-we talked a little while we were dancing. I remember making out with the guy, and dancing with him but I don't remember much else from later in the night and I don't remember going home (even though my friends were with me the entire time). We were only at the bar for like an hour and fifteen minutes-and I probably blacked out halfway in.

When I got home from Italy, about 3 and half weeks after this incident, I came down with a very mono like illness. However, I've also heard that in an initial HIV infection, the person can display very mono-like symptoms and dismisses them for that.

My friends said they watched me the entire night and I never left with the man or did anything outrageous. And we weren't there that long at all.

There's no possibility of contracting HIV through kissing correct? Unless blood comes into contact with open sores...

So even if the guy was positive, my exposure would be very limited?

Regardless, I am getting routine testing once I get back to school but I would like some peace of mind on the situation, because it has been eating me alive.

Thank you so much.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is correct that you cannot contract HIV through kissing unless both people have open sores. So it is very unlikely you caught HIV from this person, even if they were positive. It is, of course, always a good idea to get a checkup.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 863 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samfoxwu
Neophyte
Member # 76307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samfoxwu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much! What counts as open sores? LIke abrasions or just like canker sores or something? If there were sores, what are the chances that I could have gotten it? Like doesn't there need to be significant exposure?

I'm sorry. I just feel really stupid and I'm trying to be as responsible as I can about this. I have an appointment to get tested on Tuesday.

I am really hating myself right now. I can't stop worrying. [Frown]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open sores as in a wound that is open and not healed, so both of you would have to be bleeding.

I believe there is only one known case of HIV transmission through kissing. The couple both had gum disease, which can cause gums to bleed, so there was blood exposure. They had also been together many years, so there was a lot of kissing that did not transmit it, even with the gum disease.

Your chances are very, extremely small, I highly doubt you have HIV.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 863 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.