Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Morning After Pill...needed or not? Halp!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morning After Pill...needed or not? Halp!
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

So I recently has an abrupt life change and it has thrown off my routine of taking my birth control pills. Because of this, on Wednesday of last week I forgot to take my pill and then on Thursday I was out all day/night, so I did not get home to take my Wednesday/Thursday pills until around 10pm. I did take them both when I remembered, but they were still, in my mind, counted as "missed". I did, however, take my Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday pills on time. However, today, Monday, my boyfriend and I had a bit of an accident and he came inside of me.

So my question is, because of my slip up last wednesday/thursday, should I go out and get the Morning After Pill? I haven't had any breakthrough bleeding from missing my pills earlier in the week or anything, but I'm scared I possibly messed up pretty bad.

Thanks guys.

[ 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: ausam ]

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What time do you normally take your pills?

If the Wednesday pill was the only one late and you made it up, you are likely okay, and your pills are still offering greater protection than emergency contraception.

If the Thursday pill was also 12+ hours late, then you might consider taking Emergency contraception.

Also, were are you in your pill pack? First, second, or third week?

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I usually take my pills between 12pm to 3pm, and I didn't take the Wednesday one until 8:00am Thursday morning.

I then was out all day Thursday (i should have carried them with me) and didn't get to take my Thursday pill until 10pm.

I was on the second week of pills (now going into the third), and am on Alesse.

Posts: 28 | From: Aus | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Hey,

So I went to talk to a pharmacist and he said that he doesn't think I need PlanB. But I am kinda looking for some double confirmation that this makes sense.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd concur with that.

The typical use effectiveness rate for the combined birth control pill (which is the level of effectiveness most people need to figure they have, that's 92%) does take into account taking a pill late here or there. If you hadn't made the pill up, then it would make much more sense to me to take Plan B. But since you did, it seems to me it likely wouldn't increase your protection by much since it's not that likely to have been compromised.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausam
Neophyte
Member # 39519

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ausam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Thanks so much [Smile] I appreciate the confirmation!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.