Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Support(PLEASE HEATHER ANSWER)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Support(PLEASE HEATHER ANSWER)
Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey i dont have support from my family because of my sexuality(bisexual).. I've always thought about suicide but never really commited to it.. but for now i cut.. What should i do to make them understand enough??
Posts: 63 | From: Fort Myers, FL | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dee. I'm finishing here for the day, but we can talk more tomorrow.

One thing I can't talk well with you about is suicide: I've both lost loved ones to suicide and have had other issues around it in my life, and it's just one thing I am unable to talk to people well about. That said, suicidal thoughts are also something to take very seriously and that we don't have the resources via this site and organization to handle, anyway. I'd suggest you take those thoughts seriously. If you are having them, please tell a healthcare provider or call a hotline which can help you, like the Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or the Trevor Project at: 866-488-7386. Okay?

Like I said, we can talk more in-depth tomorrow, but please know tonight that we can't always get family support with our sexual orientation, or can't at a given time. Even if your family can't be supportive right now, as you probably won't be able to turn around their attitudes quickly, we can talk about other ways you can get and feel more supported.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok but maybe u can email me at my Email address because i do want to talk to about something but just not on here im not really comfortable talking about on here
Posts: 63 | From: Fort Myers, FL | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're not able to counsel users via email, due to the limitations of our resources as well as issues of liability.

So, what we can offer you is to talk here anonymously, as you are, or to help get you connected to someone, such as other hotlines or an in-person counselor, who you can speak with more directly and more privately.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww but I like you soo much... U seem really helpful to
Heather
Member # 3

That doesn't change the limitations and structure of our organization, alas.

I'm glad to talk with you, we just need to do it in the avenues we can do that in, which in regard to my job here are the message boards, the text service (which isn't so great for longer conversations) and the advice column format like you've used already.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

Ok i wouldnt want u to lose your job... But what can i do to make them understand that im not change because they dont like it
Heather
Member # 3

That's a tough question with, I'm afraid, an equally tough answer.

The hard truth is that you may not be able to make them understand that, and they may not understand or accept that for a while. I don't know your family or how unaccepting they are of anything other than heterosexuality. Some people's families will come around, and some sooner while others later, and other people's just won't.

So, what you probably want to focus most on is how you can live in the family you do and take the best care of yourself around this. can you fill me in on what's going on? Are you dating anyone right now; in other words, is this about them not accepting relationships, or, right now, is this only about them not accepting how you identify?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

No im not dating anyone right now.. But i had a long time gf for 3 years.. But they dont accept either of those.. They feel because im only a teenager that I fully dont understand it myself... But i truly do deep down
Heather
Member # 3

So, are you saying this is only about your age? That they're accepting of older people who are bisexual or homosexual?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

I guess it's because i havent full been through certain thinks... But im mom does have a homosexual guy friend and she loves him to death.. And i guess that she is more accepting to older people because they've been through everything i guess
Heather
Member # 3

This is good news, actually: if your mother is generally accepting but this is about age, then you have some possible ways in here.

For starters, have you ever talked to your Mom's friend about this? Because he probably knows, as do many of us who are queer, that most of us knew or at least had some clue about what our orientation was when we were younger, just like straight people. He probably also knows how many straight people assume that straight people can know their orientation when they're young, but not queer people, which is obviously a double standard: either you can know your orientation or not, it's not like folks of one orientation can but others cannot.

He might be able to better communicate these things to your Mom than you, or might be able to help you with this.

Alternately, have you and your mother ever been able to talk calmly about the facts I just mentioned together?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

I havent talked to my Mom's friend but it seems like a good idea.. And no because seems like why bother when shes already made up her mind
Heather
Member # 3

Minds are often way more flexible than people give them credit for.

So, my best suggestion is to first try talking to your Mom's friend about how you're feeling: give him a call, ask if he'd have a coffee with you alone, and tell him how you're feeling and that you could really use an ally to help you feel more accepted by your Mom.

It's incredibly likely he'll be more than happy to help you out, since chances are, he's been where you are.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

Yea i will give him a call.. Because i adore him.. THANK SOOOOOO MUCH Heather <3
Heather
Member # 3

Of course! [Smile]

Feel free to pop back to let us know how it goes, or if you need more help.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Dee
Activist
Member # 56776

i will

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.