Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » After BCP periods.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: After BCP periods.
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As all my post's have shown, I've been on birth control for almost 2 years (19 months). I finally got off the dreadful pill after it started messing up my system in February. March, no period. April I got one for 5 days much like my normal withdrawl bleed. May, no period. On June 15 I started spotting. June 16th, it started getting a tad bit heaver but it was still extreamly light. On June 25th, it started gettin heaver....much like my periods before I started BCP. My periods were 7 days long and VERY irregular....I would get maybe 5 a year. This period I am on now has been 11 days so far (12 if you count the 16th). My dr said this is just the hormones exiting my system. My questions are:

1. Is this "normal"
2. When will it stop?

P.S. I was on Yasmin and switched to Loestrin. I am sexually active and condoms are used 100% of the time.

Posts: 41 | From: US | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is pretty normal for the body to take awhile to get back on track after going off any form of hormonal birth control. Some women find it only takes a couple of months for their cycles to go back to the way they were, for others it takes quite a bit longer than that. As for how long it will take your body to settle down, that's really impossible to tell. In another two or three months, if you are still having very irregular periods, then it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor again, but I don't see any reason to be concerned right now.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5668 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you!
she said if I miss a period next month to come in and see her. but this long period had me worried. I just hope it stops soon.

Posts: 41 | From: US | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can always phone in and ask whether or not she thinks this period is cause for concern.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5668 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

i did, she said no everything is fine. but i had to come to you guys to make 100% sure.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

If that's what your doctor said, I'd trust that. Sounds like your body is just taking awhile to sort itself out. [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.