Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » A First Scare!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A First Scare!
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for taxxy28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I always thank you all very much for answering all the questions. You've saved me from a lot of scares. Unfortunately, this is the first and only one that I need to post as an emergency. From what I'm experiencing, I think it may be probable that I'm pregnant, therefore if yout hink the chance is pretty high, I need to take action immediately.

I take my pill every day from approximately 3:45 PM to 4:00 PM. I start my placebo pills tomorrow, but I'm afraid I can't wait until then to see what's going on.

Two days ago, Sunday, I forgot to take my pill until 6:00 PM. 2 hours late. I dry swallowed it, and then ate food half an hour later. Usually I don't dry swallow, but I didn't want to wait any longer and I had no available water.

Today, which is my last pill dosage before the placebos, I took it at 4:30 PM. These were the only 2 "late" days. I have been sexually active the entire time; we do not use condoms.

I should also add, that for maybe 5-6 days now, I have been experiencing UTI symptoms; it is pretty common for me. I have a burning desire to urinate and to urinate often. Also I have physical discomfort in my lower lower abdomen, but I associated it with my possible UTI... until now. The low-key pain could also be described as menstrual-like cramps.

Before Sunday (so I'm talking 4 or 5 days ago), I started having brown discharge, but I also associated that with my possible UTI. Now, today, I have these cramps still and now my brown discharge has turned to faint but obvious blood. This to me looks like breakthrough bleeding.

Would a pregnancy test show anything at this time? I have had many scares, but for the first time, all these mistakes and signs are pointing to a positive. I'm pretty anxious and nervous; would you tell me the probable chance if I'm pregnant?

I start my placebo pills tomorrow. Usually I don't start the actual period until Friday night/Saturday morning. So by then I should have a definite answer, but waiting this whole week seems like hell. Thank you so much for your time.

Posts: 90 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The times you're posting about as "late" actually aren't late at all. It's absolutely fine -- and is not known to decrease pill effectiveness -- if you take a pill a couple to a few hours later than usual.

You certainly could go ahead and take a pregnancy test now if you wanted to, though I'm not seeing a likely risk.

It also seems far more critical that you put your attention to your possible UTI and getting treated for that. If it's been almost a week since symptoms started, and you're now having abdominal pain, it's possible that UTI (if that's what you have) is spreading to your bladder and possibly your kidneys: that is something that can commonly happen when UTIs go untreated, and you really want to do what you can to prevent that. A UTI should be diagnosed and treated as quickly as possible, both for your overall health and your own comfort. The spotting you're seeing might also be about a UTI or another kind of infections.

You can even ask your healthcare provider for a pregnancy test when you do that and take care of both of these things at once.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.