Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » risk!!! please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: risk!!! please help!
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been on yasmin for 7 months now. yesterday instead of taking my pill at 6pm like i am supposed to i took it at 10:55pm. i also had unprotected sex with my boyfriend for less than a minute around 8pm that same day. he pulled out and put a condom on so we could finish.

is there any chance i could be pregnant? i read on some websites that if i take my pill more than 2 hrs late it wont work. please help me!

lastly, i started the pill on sunday and took the saturday pill late

[ 02-15-2009, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: starrbaby ]

Posts: 41 | From: US | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this answer from Heather about taking the pill correctly:
Three questions about taking birth control (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay i read it but im still confused. my main question is does birth control still work if i have sex and then take it four hours later?
Posts: 41 | From: US | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally, you want to stay within a 2 hour window with any pill (and especially so with mini-pills). From the link I posted:
quote:
A "missed" pill is one that was not taken within 24 hours of the last pill you took. A missed pill should always be taken as soon as you realize you have missed it, but there is likely no risk from one missed pill or a need for EC. A "late" pill varies more in definition among various sources, and to some degree from pill to pill, but with any type of pill, if you have taken a pill more than 12-24 hours late, you may want to consider using a backup method of birth control for the rest of your cycle to play it safe.
You were only a few hours late and it was only with one pill. You'd only really be worrying if you were 12-24 hours late, which you were not. When you had sex in relation to when you took the pill has nothing to do with it.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrbaby
Activist
Member # 39673

okay thank you so much. and another question is: the longer you have been on BC does it make it more effective? like since ive been on it for 7 months, if I were to make another mistake like this one and were to actually MISS the pill, would i still be safe because ive been on the pill for a long time?
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry we didn't see this for a while starrbaby..

After you have used a method of hormonal birth control for one cycle (one month) it should have reached its peak level of effectiveness. It may or may not be effective during that first cycle, which is why we suggest using condoms as back-up for the first month.

If you were to miss just one pill at any time, it should not compromise your protection. If you have missed two or more pills, you are less safe and you need to use back-up protection for a further 7 days of active pills.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.