Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Paranoid? Or possibly pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoid? Or possibly pregnant?
winsome
Neophyte
Member # 37191

Icon 4 posted      Profile for winsome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I have been taking birth control pills for about eight months now, and I've been recently having sex without a condom with my boyfriend (for about two months). I'm usually very good with taking the pill on time, usually within the half-hour. But a couple of days I took them two hours late. One day was the day following the night we had intercourse without a condom, and he ejaculated inside me. The other day was in the last week of my active pills, but we had not had sex where he came inside me.

The thing that concerns me is I was late starting my new pack of pills, about 9 hours late. So I guess I extended my pill-free time by 9 hours. I'm on the combined pill, Yasmin to be precise. I'm concerned, as I can't remember if we had sex and he ejaculated inside me in that first week. Yasmin is, I hear, a lower-dose pill. Would being that late in starting change its efficiency, or is there a safety zone? I keep hearing differently everywhere I go, from 2 hours to 12 hours. Could I have ovulated in the 9 hours where I stupidly forgot the pill?

I'm on day one of my 'supposed' period (ie chemical withdrawal bleed) but no sign of bleeding yet. Can stress affect the onset of the chemical bleed? It's early in the day, however, so I'm trying to keep myself going insane.

I don't have any signs or symptoms of pregnancy, but there are two things that are missing that usually show up before my period. One is a massive zit that usually appears on my face about a week before my bleed, and the other is a change in vaginal odour. These signs have both been absent.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're on a combined pill like Yasmin, what matters is that you take one every day. being two or even nine hours late will not change your effectiveness; you just want to try and take them around the same time every day to make it less likely you'll miss a day.

Even *if* you somehow ovulate, remember that the combined pill has built-in backup: by thickening your cervical mucus and thinning your uterine lining. But it's still not likely you did.

It's pretty common for people not to bleed on day one of their placebo pills.

But if you're seriously stressed out about this and on the brink of sanity, there's no reason not to just go get a home pregnancy test to reassure yourself. I'm one of those folks who so seriously does NOT want to become pregnant that I'll often keep a couple in my medicine cabinet when I have male partners just so when I'm feeling like you are, I don't have to sweat it.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winsome
Neophyte
Member # 37191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winsome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I usually end my active pack of pills on the Wednesday and begin bleeding on the Sunday. It's usually very regular. I'm expecting my bleed today but it hasn't started yet.

The reason I'm so paranoid is that, if I were pregnant I would have to terminate. But there is a lack of abortion services in my area, and I cannot drive to another city as I don't drive on the highway, and I don't want my parents to find out. It outrages me that this medical service is not made available to women who might need it. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to change this?

In any case, thank you so much for this website. I really appreciate somewhere I can go that has such great information and I am impressed by the speed of the response.

Thank you so much. : )

Posts: 14 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To change the access to abortion worldwide? Oh, gal, I wish I knew there was something any one person could do to do that.

Women have been fighting for greater access to abortion for decades now -- it's a problem pretty much everywhere, always has been, and in North America over the last few years, it's only gotten worse -- and it has always been a seriously uphill battle. But you could certainly connect with an abortion rights group in your area and do some volunteer work: there is always a need for more people to help working for reproductive rights.

Here is a good resource for you to get connected with: check out the links for a ton of groups you could get involved with.

Just know that there are often resources for dealing with getting women abortion services who need them, including transport, and to boot, that should be something a partner and friends would help you out with if it ever was needed.

And it's not abnormal, again, for that bleed not to be like clockwork. If it has been for you, that's actually somewhat unusual. So, I'd do what you can to try and relax, go on with your day, and give it a couple more days before you get too worried. Obviously, even taken on time, the pill alone is not 100% effective: but that .3 percent of every 100 women who get pregnant taking it perfectly is a very small number.

Sounds to me too like it might not be a bad idea for you two to go back to backing up with condoms, both because you absolutely can't deal w/a pregnancy and because it seems like you could use the peace of mind.

(And you're welcome:))

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
winsome
Neophyte
Member # 37191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winsome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what does 'perfect use' constitute? Is there a certain number of hours' leeway within which you can take the pill and consider it 'on time'?

The clockwork bleed is the reason I went on the pill; before I used to have seriously unpredictable and inconsistent periods - I'd bleed heavily for a week, or else get a brown smudge and nothing else, and playing the "blood in my pants" game during class is not fun. My family doctor said it wasn't necessary to take the pill on time to regulate bleeding, but I do take it on time because I also use Yasmin for its contraceptive properties.

I have discussed the issue a LOT with my boyfriend and we are definitely going back to doubling up. It doesn't feel as nice during sex and there's the weird latex smell that even flavoured lube won't cover up but it's a small price to pay for that peace of mind you mentioned.

Actually he was the one that suggested it. [Smile] I'm really happy that he has decided to sacrifice his preferences to keep me reassured. We've decided we're going to keep doubling up again until we move in together (which we are planning to do sometime late this year or early next), when we can deal with this without having to worry about other people and what they are going to think and say (namely parents).

And you were right, he has said he would support me no matter what and that has proven to be true. I have also asked my friend who has a sister in nursing if there are any services available in the city and she said there were, so perhaps all is not lost.

I am doing as you said and trying to keep relaxed. From the research I have done there is only a very low chance I could be pregnant at all... but I am a worrier by nature.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.