Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » can i get back on the pill too?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can i get back on the pill too?
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again. I'd like to say thanks again to Lauren for the advice she gave me when I last posted. I've still been feeling a little nervous about my situation though, so I've been hanging around the forums. I just happened to read the entry entitled "pill help-getting nervous" and the poster's situation sounds a lot like mine.

That said, can I also take the advice given to her? Is it ok if I get back on the pill even if my period for this month hasnt come yet? If I get back on the pill, is it likely that my period will come after I finish the pack and be regular again?

Thanks in advance... this site is so great and a great comfort to me!

Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(You're most welcome! [Smile] )

Like I told her, yes, you can start the pill before you get your next menstrual period. You've already had a full period with no sexual activity since then, and the main reason it's advised to wait for a menstrual period is to ensure the woman is not pregnant before starting the pills.

You might have a higher incidence of break-through bleeding or spotting, though, from starting the pill in this manner, and you must be extra dilligent by using a backup method for at least two weeks (preferably, the entire first pack). The spotting is harmless, but many women find it annoying.

If you're aware of those issues, are willing to deal with them, and/or need pregnancy protection ASAP, you can start your pack today. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
belladonna
Activist
Member # 35546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for belladonna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, will do. Thanks again! [Smile]
Posts: 130 | From: hong kong | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.