Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » The Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill
adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adorablebiach3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I have been taking "the pill" Yaz for almost two months now, and i finally just had sex with my boyfriend with out a condom for the first time ever... and tomrrow night i start my inactive pill (white pill) and i was on an antibiotic about a week ago.. how much of a risk am i at of getting pregnant?
Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of antibiotic was it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for adorablebiach3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxicillin cap(AP500MG)
Posts: 9 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

it was for getting my wisdom teeth pulled but i got the stiches and everything out thursday
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, that's one of the few antibiotics which has been known to decrease effectiveness of BCPs. For future reference -- and your pharmacist really should have told you this if he/she saw your records and knew you were on BCPs -- if you ever take Amox or other penicillin-type drugs again, you will want to backup your pills with condom use.

Was your risk today or within the last couple of days? If so, you may want to call your doctor and ask if they feel you should use emergency contraception.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

if i get the EC i take it as soon as i get it? and also take my original pill?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep, that's right.

If you do, just know that especially since you're already taking another pill, it's pretty likely you're going to experience some nausea and not feel super-duper for a couple of days, so do what you can to give yourself some downtime.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

I took the EC yesterday.. how long do i wait for it to do whatever it does.. and when will i get my period?
Heather
Member # 3

It stinks to take meds and not know what they do, so just so that you understand the barest basics, EC simply keeps you from becoming pregnant, by one to three different actions (very similarly to how your BC pills do): by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary, by preventing fertilization of an egg if it's already been released, and/or by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting in the womb.

Doing any or all of that only takes a matter of days, if.

Per when you'll get your withdrawal bleed (once on the pill, you don't get actual menstrual periods anymore), it's hard to say. It may come when you expect it, or at another time, and you may even have some odd spotting or unpredictable light bleeding over the next couple of cycles.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

adorablebiach3
Neophyte
Member # 35492

but it is defent that i won't be pregnant correct?
Heather
Member # 3

No, as neither the pill nor EC are 100% effective. But it would be highly unlikely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.