Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Period for almost 2 months

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period for almost 2 months
AndreaKay
Neophyte
Member # 35439

Icon 4 posted      Profile for AndreaKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my period since aug 20 and it hasnt stopped. I've finally made an appointment but they only had an opening for oct 24. For the past month it hasnt really bothered me other than I'm bleeding for too long. Butu now today and yesterday ive started to have cramps. There is a history in both sides of my parents familys of having Fibroids. I know i should have done something earlier but i never did. Is there something to make the pain go away temporarly and should i stop using tampons cause ive gone through an 80 pack since i started?

--------------------
Andreakay

Posts: 3 | From: California, United States | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two months oof blleding is NOT a menstrual period. It is -- until it is explained -- unexplianed vaginal bleeding, and it is something which you should see your healthcare provider about PRONTO. If all they had was the 24th, call back and let them know that you have had vaginal bleeding for this long and need to be given an emergency visit. if they can't, ask them to refer you to a clinic or physical who can.

(And if any healthcare provider knew this was the case and did not make room for you to get in right away, that's really uncool. At the very least, they should have found someone else you could see right away.)

That certainly could be due to a fibroid rupturing, or it could also be due to a sexually transmitted infection, endometriosis or another condtion. But it's not a period.

So, do go get seen now, and for future reference, if you have vaginal bleeding that lasts for more than 10 days or so, always get to a doc right away. Using tampons in the next couple of days until you can get in should be okay (but really, I'd go in NOW), and per the pain, something like Ibuprofen is fine.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndreaKay
Neophyte
Member # 35439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AndreaKay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been writing down since i started how the flow has been. The appointment ive made is going to be my first gyno appointment. Can you get STDs without having sex or anything sex related?

My mom is trying to find a doctor that will take me in earlier and that takes out insurence. She's been worried about this for awhile but ive always been afraid of doctors and I just forgot to post the last time They found a cyst on my right overy about 9 months ago could that turn into a fibriod?

--------------------
Andreakay

Posts: 3 | From: California, United States | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have never had any sort of sex with someone else, you can cross STIs off the list.

And yep: this certainly could be due to that cyst. people with ovarian cysts can also develop fibroid cysts, but they aren't the same. Both need to be looked at and often treated, and ovarian cysts can burst, which does tend to cause vaginal bleeding.

(I'm surprised, though, that the doctor who said you had an ovarian cyst did not refer you TO a gynecologist when they made that diagnosis.)

In the future? Really? Getting yourself really sick is a lot more scary than doctors. I'll give you, I grew up in hospitals, so I've always had a leg up over a lot of people per not being intimidated by doctors or afraid of health care.

But still? Especially as someone unisured who has to go without it more than she'd like? There really is no reason to be fearful of people whose job it is to take care of your health.

I'd tell your mother now that if your insurance covers emergency room visits that really, that would not be unwarranted at this point, and may be the best way to get you care where you're seen right away.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.