Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Took Pill, was sick, got period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Took Pill, was sick, got period?
Puss In Boots
Neophyte
Member # 19166

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Puss In Boots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I've been on Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo since march of last year and I've been really good with it, never missed a pill, always take it within the three hour period (1.5 hours on either side of my designated time) etc. etc.

Well the other night I took my pill and was unfortunately sick an hour and a half to two hours later. I didn't think that that one episode could have compromised my protection, but then over the next few days I began to bleed a little bit. Less than a period but considerably more than spotting (?)

I only compromised -one- pill, and I'm sure that because it was in my system for awhile it didn't all come up.

I am sexually active with my boyfriend (std tested and true, we've been together for a long time now) so I need to know what I should do. I am in the third week of my pill pack (ie next week starting Tuesday I'll be on the placebo row). Do I continue to take the pills at the same time every night and 'see what happens'? Do I stop altogether and wait for my next period to start fresh with my pills?

Also, if I had the throw-up-pill episode on Saturday night, and engaged in sexual activity since then (Saturday and Monday) could I be at risk for pregnancy? I wasn't really bleeding then, I thought it was due to rougher penetration and took no notice of it.

Also, I've been having a lot of stomach cramps ):

What am I supposed to do?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I eagerly await your answers [Smile]

-PiB :3

Posts: 6 | From: Montreal,Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You vomited your pill before it could be absorbed. Most providers will tell you that you should follow the instructions for missed pills -- take 1 pill until you can keep it down for 3-4 hours.

Did you have diarrhea, as well? The intestines are where the pill does the bulk of absorbing, so gastrointestinal illness will compromise effectiveness, and break-through-bleeding may indicate that you did not absorb enough medication.

If you did not make up the missed pill from the vomiting episode AND continued to be sick/have diarrhea/gastrointestinal symptoms without using a back-up method for 7 days until your illness passed, you are likely at risk of pregnancy.

I'd call your doctor, explain the situation, and ask if they'd advise emergency contraception. Absolutely keep taking 1 pill a day AND abstain/use a backup method until you have further instructions -- missing pills in the third week is especially risky since it's close to the placebo week; extending the placebo week through starting the pack late or missing pills at the end or beginning of the pack is the most common way women get pregnant.

[ 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puss In Boots
Neophyte
Member # 19166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Puss In Boots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sick from a virus or flu at all, I had eaten something that disagreed with me so I literally only threw up the one time and took my pills consistantly at the correct time during the following days.

This happened Saturday night, I've been taking my pill daily since then.

Hopefully this information helps orient your answer a little differently? I don't have gastro or anything, and this was a few days ago.

Posts: 6 | From: Montreal,Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puss In Boots
Neophyte
Member # 19166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Puss In Boots     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still bleeding a bit and getting ready to go on the placebo row starting Tuesday (day after tomorrow) I've been maintaining my pills so I only missed the one..
Puss In Boots
Neophyte
Member # 19166

Just as a follow up I spoke to my physician who said that yes, I had inadvertently missed some of the pill by throwing it up before it could be digested properly.
She told me to continue as though I hadn't missed it, (ie keep following with my pills as I normally would), use backup protection for this pack and get used to having my period for two weeks as I am going to keep having it during my placebo row despite having bled through the last row of pills before it. Lovely.
Thanks! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.