Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » am i at pregnancy risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: am i at pregnancy risk?
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi okay so this is my first time here. I just finished my periods on firday and had some drops left on saturday, i had sex with my boyfriend today without protection, and he ejaculated in me. I was wondering if i had a risk of getting pregnant, i heard that right when you finish your periods we dont have eggs,,is that true? enlighten me!
Posts: 19 | From: far | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are at risk of pregnancy anytime you have unprotected sex. The assumption that pregnancy is not possible during a menstrual period is based off the 28-day menstrual cycle, which all women don't have.

This goes by the assumption that women ovulate on day 14. Let's say your period lasts for 5 days, and you have intercourse on the last day or the day after it ends. Sperm can survive for up to 5-7 days in the reproductive tract, making it possible for them to join the ovum at ovulation. Some women ovulate earlier than Day 14, making it more probable.

There's simply no way to know when YOU ovulate unless you're keeping track of your fertility signs. This is why, in this instance, you'd be advised to get emergency contraception.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, thank you so much, any idea on what contraception i should use?
Posts: 19 | From: far | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

(because last time i took one, it made me throw up all day long..and i was wondering if there was a way to avoid that)
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time you took one what?

You can use condoms and lubrication. Condoms are very effective against both pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. The birth control pill is also an option, but the pill is only effective against pregnancy, leaving you vulnerable for sexually transmitted infections when not used w/ condoms.

You can learn more about your options for birth control here; Margaret Sanger's Disneyland: Choosing Contraceptives Your doctor will also be an excellent resource when choosing which birth control method will work best for you.

Also, seeing your doctor for a full check up right now is a must. You've had serious pregnancy and STI risks. If you wish to avoid pregnancy and STIs, you need to stop having unprotected sex right now. Go get yourself some condoms and lube (both are inexpensive and do not require prescriptions, like the birth control pill) in the meantime, and make that appointment.

Check it out;

Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist
Testing, Testing...
Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

okay thank you, ( i meant that i took the pill and it made me throw up) i went to the doctors, she said everything was fine, and as for the birth control pill, i bought the one that was least strong...its called mercilon, but its made locally so i dont know if youve heard about it...but thank you for your quick reply i appreciate it..
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

The birth control pill that i have taken are cycle pills, that says monday tuesday wedensday..etc on them. What ive been looking for is a pill called the morning after which unfortunately we do not have. My boyfriend told me that he had researched on the net and found out that with those type of pills i had to take two, wait 8 hours, take one, wait 8 hours, and then take another one...is he right? Also the pills i took last night, but since i had thrown up, i didnt take the very last pill (so i took three out of four) is it still going to work? Am i suppose to have my period right after since the hormones are like signaling my body a fake pregnancy? Is it going to work to avoid me getting pregnant? my boyfriend and i are worried, and he hates seeing me hurt
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

please i really need help here!
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, honey, if I'm understanding you correctly, you misunderstood us.

EC and birth control pills are a little different. Birth control pills are taken every day to prevent ovulation, and therefore protects you from pregnancy. Emergency contraception is taken only when you've had a pregnancy risk; since EC is basically a very high dose of hormones, whereas birth control is a lower dose, you can sometimes substitute several birth control pills and take them like EC, but this doesn't work with all pill brands.

You needed to go to your local pharmacy, Planned Parenthood, or doctors office and get emergency contraception, not just regular birth control. At this point, you have less than a day left to take EC; as it is, the chances of it working have decreased.

Assuming you're not pregnant, you likely won't see your period for a bit, because you took a whopping dose of hormones. That's going to mess with your cycles.

I don't recognize the pill name you mentioned; not all birth control pills can double as emergency contraception. Get EC TODAY if you can; if not, you will have to wait until at least September 8th to take a pregnancy test.

And please, please, PLEASE use condoms and/or birth control pills, OK? Really, this all could have been avoided.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

oh yeah beleive me i will! we were soooooo scared! okay great...now im just going to pray..and hope that that brand was okay to take as an e.c pill coz now everything is closed :S, and pray also that i wasnt pregnant...thank you so much though for FULLY answering all the questions i had...
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things: EC cannot abort pregnancies. All it can do is prevent them. Pregnancies do not happen instantly, it can take a few days for conception to take place, and EC acts in that time frame to prevent that conception.

Also, if you still have the insert that came with your pill, you may want to check if it says anything about using it as EC. If you've lost the insert, or it doesn't say anything, you can check online. You could also try calling a pharmacy (usually, even on the weekend, there'll be at least on pharmacy in your area that's on call).

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9177 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

okay, i searched online and found out that it doesnt say if mercilon can be used as an E.C. What i have found though is that it is composed of 0,15 mg desogestrel and 0,02 mg of ethinylestradiol. Am i in trouble? (im sure i am..oh god! oh god!). Tomorrow will be the third day...its not too late but i know my chances are at its lowest..you think i should go buy E.C's even if i had already taken the birth control pill thursday night and friday morning? Also, if i understood well, if im not pregnant it would be normal that my periods come late this month?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desogestrel is not a suitable progetin for use as a morning after pill. Only select brands with levonorgestrel or norgestrel as the progestin can be used as emergency contraception under a physician's discretion.

If you haven't been taking your pills correctly (that means one pill, every day, consistently, which it doesn't sound as if that's the case) you are not protected from pregnancy, and you should seek out emergency contraception as soon as you can.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

i will, thank you and hopefully wont have to disturb you guys with this particular story any longer...
flou
Neophyte
Member # 35097

So does that mean that i can take the E.C even if the birth control pill might still be in my body? ill take it as a yes and will, thank you and hopefully wont have to disturb you guys with this particular story any longer... (
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it would be wise to, when you pick up your EC, mention to the pharmacist or doctor that you have already taken a larger dose of a regular bc. They will be best able to tell you whether taking the EC is still possible.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9177 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.