Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » serious pregnancy risk..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: serious pregnancy risk..
jlax
Neophyte
Member # 34986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I were having sex yesterday night (5am), and when he pulled out, the condom was nowhere in sight! It fell off inside me. And he came, so wow, what a pregnancy risk... Definitely had his semen all in me...

I started taking the pill five days ago, but I know it's not effective yet. I am taking EC today...

What is my risk? I should be seriously worried, right? I know EC is apparently 75-89% effective, but how reliable are those statistics? I mean, I'm in the middle of my cycle so... I'm sure my likelihood is higher than other people's.

And when is the soonest I can take a pregnancy test?
I know home pregnancy tests work 14 days after, but do urine tests at a place like Planned Parenthood work sooner?

I'm very scared, so scared
We were tested for STDs a month ago, so I'm fairly sure we're clean but...

God I can't get pregnant

Posts: 4 | From: nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those stats for efficacy of EC are accurate. Time of where you are in your cycle is all taken into account.

You can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after the risk. Urine tests at PP can also be taken 10-14 days after the risk. They're essentially the same thing.

Your risk of pregnancy is greatly decreased by taking EC. If you're still worried, i would just take the pregnancy test in 14 days. They're relatively inexpensive and defineatly worth the peace of mind.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlax
Neophyte
Member # 34986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the pill for five days... After taking EC, do I keep taking the pill daily? Do I stop altogether and just wait for my period?

And what exactly does "75-89% effective" mean..? Like, 11-25% of the time, EC is not effective, and the woman becomes pregnant?

Thanks

Posts: 4 | From: nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep taking the pill every day like normal.

And yes, that is what it means- statistically speaking. However, if taken correctly, and quickly, the EC will most likely work just fine, and you have nothing to worry about. For a good explanation of those statistics, check out this site: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/birth-control-pregnancy/emergency-contraception/effectiveness-4368.htm

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlax
Neophyte
Member # 34986

i am thinking about getting an iud inserted for emergency contraceptive purposes... i had an examination at the gyno last week (when i went on the pill), so i know i am std/stifree.

iuds are 99.9% effective up to 5 days?

i am calling my insurance tomorrow to find out if they cover IUD costs... i am pretty sure my insurance will.

i am just worrying because i am in the MIDDLE of my cycle, and if i was ovulating... well, i just want to take any step i can to avoid being pregnant while i still can (and plus, having an IUD will eliminate the chance of this worrying/scare ever happening again)

my question is-- will doctors be able to schedule an iud insertion within 3 days?! i am calling my gyno office tomorrow; i don't even know if they offer IUD insertion though, is it likely they will?..

and if they don't, do you think planned parenthood will be able to schedule one by TUESDAY? like, i need it inserted immediately for it to be effective... we had unprotected sex friday night

thanks guys i'm so sorry

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not necessary to consider using a second method of EC when you have already used one. I know you're worried, but it really is not, and it's also sound to recognize that when you're in this much of a panic, it's best to try and dial it down, rather than drive yourself nuts.

(To boot, IUDs generally aren't suggested for younger women, and/or women who are not in long-term monogamous relationships where you've been practicing all aspects of safer sex with your partner for at least six months. Really, not only will the pill by itself give you awesome protection, but also just using condoms properly -- with a slide off, it usually just means your partner may need a snugger size, or to be sure he's putting them on right -- will give you an excellent combined method.)

Considering you already have used Plan B as well as just starting the pill, you're both already putting your body through the ringer and ALREADY are very well covered against your pregnancy risk.

You say you were mid-cycle, but you also say you just started the pill, which isn't usually started mid-cycle, too, so I'm confused.

Certainly, you can talk to your GYN about all of this tomorrow, but I'd be willing to bet she'll say there is no need for more EC (especially since by the time you may be able to get an insertion, you may well be outside the window for it to do much, anyway) and suggest you first just try the pill for a while.

[ 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing I want to add is that if pregnancy is ABSOLUTELY not something you can risk in any way, then it's really best to just not have the kinds of sex (read: intercourse) where it's a risk.

Really, we can all have totally satisfying sexual lives without heterosexual intercourse, as there are SO many ways to have sex and intimacy, and as well, if you're worried to death while you're having intercourse, it's going to limit your enjoyment of it anyway.

Just tossing that out there for you as something very sound and simple to consider.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlax
Neophyte
Member # 34986

my last period started july 30th. i started taking the pill a week later: monday, august 6th. and that made when i had sex, the morning of august 11th, my ~12th day. and don't women normally ovulate around the 14th day of their cycle... and the days preceding that are the most fertile period?

i was on the pill for 5 days when this happened... my provider said it'd be 2 weeks before it was effective.
and a 25% risk of pregnancy with EC is terrifying.

i am sorry this is graphic, but when that condom slipped off... it was inside me for a few minutes, semen was literally dripping out of me-- and i can't help but think something happened during the ~12 hours before i got EC. especially since for all i know i could've been ovulating, and fertilization takes so little time (and EC is most effective preventing/delaying ovulation-- isn't really proven to do anything after the egg has been fertilized). what happens if i was ovulating? i'm screwed ...

i really am sorry i am panicking, but it really is something i cannot help... leaving for college in three weeks, and all i can do is sit around for two weeks waiting for my period / to take a pregnancy test! i don't know how to enjoy the rest of my summer or enjoy anything for that matter... all i keep thinking about is that 25% chance and how if i wasn't so stupid i could've avoided this all.

and i'm pretty sure the pill, plus the ECP, is making my hormones and therefore my mood INSANE. which never helps.

[ 08-12-2007, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: jlax ]

Heather
Member # 3

Can I ask why you started your pill that way? It doesn't really make a difference, but I'm a bit perplexed why you didn't start one of the two advised ways to start.

Likewise, there's little sense in talking about the average time of ovulation, because we don't know when YOU ovulate, and at this point, it doesn't matter much.

Really, honey? If you became pregnant before you took the EC, then no kind of EC after -- including an IUD -- will change that. However, do please understand that becoming pregnant is a process of several steps and EC accounts for that: you cannot have become completely pregnant within 12 hours -- it really doesn't take a little bit of time at all, especially when you remember that becoming pregnant isn't just fertilization, but also implantation. That said, no method of EC (or BC, for that matter) is 100%, so it is smart to just try and accept that there will always be some risk and make your choices accordingly.

There's no need to apologize for being in a panic: I'd just make sure you stay self-aware of being in one and make sure you're not making yourself MORE nuts or more unwell by trying to do anymore than is sound right now. For right now, the best thing I'd advise you to do is to do what you do to manage your stresses, be patient (I know, it's hard), and calm down some. And DO try and enjoy the rest of your summer -- you took EC right away, and had also started the pill, so it really would be unlikely for you to become pregnant.

In the case that you are, then you'll deal with that then. But since there's nothing else to be done now, and worrying and panicking doesn't change anything (save make you batty) -- and since relaxaing a bit WOULD be helpful -- there's really no sense in not enjoying the next couple of weeks.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.