Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » helphelp1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: helphelp1
rasta
Neophyte
Member # 34108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay i tried skipping my period using my birth control pills two months ago and it didnt work, i bled for three weeks. last month i skipped it just fine... until now. i just recently started bleeding and cramping and i'm not supposed to get my period until next week. should i keep taking my active pills or should i skip right to the placebos now and bleed it out?
Posts: 17 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you call the doctor who prescribed the pills to you to discuss the skipping before you tried that? This sort of thing can't be done with all brands of bc, and it's not right for everyone. It's not wise to experiment with your pills unless you talked it over with a doctor first.

Sounds like right now, you need to call your doctor and explain the situation to them so they can tell you what you should do next.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasta
Neophyte
Member # 34108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i called them last time, and they said i should be able to skip with this brand and that next time i tried to skip it should work cause my body would be used to it.

another little detail, i took my birth control pill two hours late the day i started bleeding. could this be why i'm bleeding?

Posts: 17 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skipping your period by taking two packs of the pill back to back is always a bit iffy. There is always the chance that you'll bleed anyway, or will see some spotting. So, if you've cleared this all with your doctor and it's alright, you'll just have to sit it out.

And nope, taking the pills two hours later is still perfectly within the 3-hour-window you have for taking the pill, so that shouldn've made much of a difference.

Really, when you try to skip the period, you'll just have to expect to see some wonky-ness regardless. But if you're concerned, just give your doctor another call.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasta
Neophyte
Member # 34108

one other question.
if you take your placebo pills a week early, will your period come early? or will it just mess things up? and also, is it common for your period to last longer than the amount of time you're taking the placebo pills?

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You MUST take 21 active pills for protection against pregnancy. Taking the placebo week early puts you at risk of ovulation, and thus, pregnancy.

It is common to bleed for longer than your placebo week lasts. If it is lasting a long time (say, more than a week) and one has been taking a pill brand for more than 3 packs, her doctor can adjust the prescription or try another brand to solve bleeding problems. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasta
Neophyte
Member # 34108

but what if you had skipped the week of placebo pills the month before and took active pills instead? would that still put you at risk and for long?
rasta
Neophyte
Member # 34108

but what if you had skipped the week of placebo pills the month before and took active pills instead? would that still put you at risk and for long?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

As long as you take all of the 21 active pills in your pill packet, you are protected for that cycle, regardless of whether or not you skip the withdrawal bleed. If you took less than those 21 pills, you have to consider that cycle compromised and should use a back-up method.

But again, if you're not sure why you're bleeding and whether you should be, do call your doctor. It sounds like you've been messing around with your bc a lot, and your doc will know best what to do next.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.