Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » quick question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quick question
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilcutie06xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok im on birth control ..(microgestion) ive been on it for a while . i think i may be pregant i just ended my period bout 2 nd a half weeks ago but all of a sudden ive been gettin these cravings and my emontions are goin nuts and i drank a couple of beers like 2 lastnite and i puked i had food in my stomach and everything and i have been really tired . could it be to soon to know? i know a couple of people that got pregant on birth control....thanks!!

oh yeah and im gainin weight also

Posts: 34 | From: new hampshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you HAD become pregnant, given the timeline you're giving, that pregnancy would not likely even be complete by now, so it's be impossible to have ANY stympoms, let alone symptoms that don't happen for some time, such as weight gain and food cravings.

But if you have not taken your pill perfectly, and it was your only form of birth control, and thus think you may have had a risk, then the only sensible thing to do is to take a pregnancy test when it has been at least ten - fourteen days since that risk.

(FYI? The beers may have been why you vomited, especially if you're drinking while feeling out of sorts already.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilcutie06xx
Neophyte
Member # 29326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilcutie06xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i have been taking them correctly maybe its just stress who knows ...i thought those symptoms where from being pregant cause ive known girls who where on birth control that have gotten pregant ...i guess i will just wait it out and see im due in like 2 weeks should i be concerned at all??
Posts: 34 | From: new hampshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The VAST (vast, vast, vast) majority of women who become pregnant while using the pill become so because they are not taking the pill correctly, or because they had an interaction.

If you are taking your pills on time, have been taking them for at least one cycle before using only the pill for borth control, and not on an antibiotic (even this is a far less common reason for failure), then it is highly unlikely you will become pregnant while using the pill.

And if you're not due for your period for another two weeks, I can pretty safely say it's very unlikely you are pregnant right now, given that timing. So, no: I'd not be strongly concerned about this.

I will always advise women (especially young) to also use condoms with the pill. STI risks in your age group are the biggest there are, and while I get that that seems like less of a risk than pregnancy, it's actually a MORE likely risk, so it's nothing to blow off. To boot, there's just no reason to have to be worried about pregnancy all of the time when combining the pill and condoms gives you nearly unbeatable protection.

Obviously, if you're REALLY worried about pregnancy risks, even when using both of those things, then it's a good reason to just step away from sex until you feel better about it. Sex can be great, for sure, but rarely great enough to be in a panic all the time. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68261 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.