Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Young teen, friend's birth control, need help NOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Young teen, friend's birth control, need help NOW
choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Icon 11 posted      Profile for choruscutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been taking my friend's birth control for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and last night I had sex. We used a condom, but I'm still worried and I feel the need for plan b. I cannot get to planned parenthood, and cannot tell my mom.

How can I get it before it's too late?

[Confused]

--------------------
I'm young, but I'm active and mature. :]

Posts: 24 | From: Santa Cruz | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, hon, if you've used a condom and didn't experience any breaks or spills, you haven't had a pregnancy risk and really don't need EC in the first place. It's not really meant to be taken like a method of birth control- it's meant to be a plan b, quite literally, in case of an accident or unplanned unprotected sex.

It can pack a bit of a wallop to your body, too, so I would really recommend you not bother taking it.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for choruscutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there an obvious way to know if it broke? Because I didn't see a lot of fluid in the condom when he took it off...

--------------------
I'm young, but I'm active and mature. :]

Posts: 24 | From: Santa Cruz | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When condoms break, it's like a balloon when it pops- the latex will literally shred and rip. So if you looked at it and didn't see any big rips, you're okay.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Also, just to add- you really should get your own prescription for birth control pills. An important part of getting a prescription is telling your doc/gyn about your family history and getting a pelvic exam, so the doc/gyn can ensure you're not at risk for any severe side effects. Too, it is illegal to share prescription drugs, so you could potentially get your friend into some trouble.

--------------------
Lea

choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for choruscutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much. I was really worried that I'd end up a 14 year old mother. [Smile]
choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Holy cow! I didn't know that! Well, she was just trying to help me not get pregnant for this party we were hosting. But I've been bugging my mom about getting me birth control, saying it's for my irregular period (which is also why I want it, I only get it every 9-12 months).
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Well, if you can't get access to hormonal methods, good ol' condoms are still incredibly reliable and easy to obtain- no clinics or prescriptions required! So really, it's not appropriate to be using someone else's medication, especially when there are alternate options.

(And just a nitpick- it won't really regulate your periods. When you're on birth control pills, you do not ovulate, and thus do not have a period. Instead, when you take the placebo pills, you have a chemically induced withdrawal bleed- so while it may force your body to bleed every month, it may not have any effect on your periods once you're off it.)

--------------------
Lea

choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Thanks. I'm totally clueless on all this stuff. I know the basics, but knowing the real facts is convenient!

And I know that, but while I'm on it I'll know when I'm going to bleed. I really just want to convince my mom so I don't have to worry about sex and getting pills from my friend any more. Plus, since I know it's illegal now, I really don't want to get her in more trouble.

[ 07-15-2007, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: choruscutie ]

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Excellent- good to hear! [Smile] Good luck talking to your mom about it!

--------------------
Lea

choruscutie
Neophyte
Member # 34664

Thank you so much again. I can finally relax about it, especially since it was a one night stand, and getting pregnant after my first time would suck.

I just hope she won't get the idea that I'm no longer a virgin. She'd FREAK!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.