Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » HELP IMMEDIATELY!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP IMMEDIATELY!!!
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenhastoomuchparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay I got Plan B levonorgestrel and it's almost 120 hours. Can i still take it now????? right now???? please help I am waiting really bad. it I'll take the first pill now, but the 2nd pill will be too late after the 120 but still, what do I do????
Posts: 51 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take both at once. This is frequently recommended by medical professionals.

It is only recommended to take it in two doses to minimize the nausea/sick feeling some women feel while taking the drug. You can minimize these effects yourself by laying still with limited head movement when nausea strikes and taking the pill with something like crackers and 7up/ginger ale.

Stomach upset/nausea is not as prevalent with Plan B as earlier forms of EC since it contains no estrogen, but if you find yourself feeling sick, call the pharmacist you got the pills from for advice.

Good for you for getting EC! [Smile]

[ 07-07-2007, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenhastoomuchparanoia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay...I just took your word for it and took them both... I guess we'll just have to wait. but now..I mean what are the chances now? after these?
Posts: 51 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenhastoomuchparanoia
Activist
Member # 33031

and I guess I can't really throw up if I get nauseated since...that means I would've throwed the pill up along with it too. so okay.
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the source, just so your mind is eased:

http://ec.princeton.edu/pills/plan-b.html

Using EC within 72 hours of risky sexual activity reduces the chance of pregnancy by around 89%. The effectiveness is decreased to an unknown level between 72-120 hours, but research has shown women still can obtain contraceptive benefit.

Taking both pills at once ensures that you get the full dosage as soon as possible, which may increase effectiveness.

Most women taking a progesterone-only emergency contraceptive will not get sick to the point of vomiting; but in the rare case you do get sick, you are safe as long as it takes place more than one hour after your dose.

You can ask somebody to pick up an over-the-counter motion sickness medicine like Dramamine II or Bonine (look for the active ingredient "meclizine") if you're very sick. It should help control the vomiting.

Good luck!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.