Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » breasts lactating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breasts lactating
pictureframes
Neophyte
Member # 13762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pictureframes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
today during intercourse my partner noticed that i was lactating (just small droplets). i didn't miss my period last month and i'm about 2 weeks from my next period. is this normal or should i be freaking out?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's not normal to lactate unless you are either *very* late in pregnancy, have just given birth, or are currently nursing.

A hormone called oxytocin prompts milk ejection. Incidentally, oxytocin is also released during high sexual arousal and orgasm. I've seen footage of orgasming nursing women spontaneously lactating, it's pretty trippy.

If you have no baby, then spontaneous lactation can be a sign of a hormonal abnormality (like really high prolactin). Or it might not be milk, it could be discharge from an infected nipple.

In either case, you should see a doctor to determine whether it's an infection (a culture can be done from the discharge) or if it's hormones (a simple blood test can determine this).

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atomic_princess15
Neophyte
Member # 13763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atomic_princess15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some cases if you think you're pregnate or really want to be pregnate you could actually beguin to get "signs" of pregnacy, such as lactating. I saw it on an episode of CSI. I agree that you should definately go to your doctor to get it checked out though.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ixnay, atomic_princess! first up, replies in E&C are restricted to moderators and the people who asked the question only. Please keep your comments in the main forums unless you need to ask a question here.

secondly, you really don't understand the physiological events of lactation, and incidentally, neither do a lot of script writers (they have advisors in the profession, but that only goes so far).

During pregnancy, a woman starts to crank up levels of a hormone called prolactin. This helps prep the breasts for milk synthesis and secretion. A post-delivery drop in estrogen and progesterone cause prolactin levels to spike and milk synthesis goes into full swing.

Then, another hormone called oxytocin steps in. When oxytocin is released, it causes the actual milk ejection. Oxytocin is released during stimuli like a baby's suckling, or during orgasm, so during both of these activities, if a woman has enough prolactin, she can lactate. And if she doesn't have a baby, then it's weird and she needs to be seen by a doctor.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.