Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » risks..?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: risks..?
drAmA quEEn
Activist
Member # 8332

Icon 9 posted      Profile for drAmA quEEn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am on the pill and have been since January. I've never had any trouble with it. I've had unprotected sex using just the pill before where he came inside me, and I was fine because I took a test a couple weeks later (curiousity)

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because... on the day I was starting my new packet of pills (after my pill free week) I took the first pill about 4hours after my usual time, due to forgeting. I am just wondering if this would mean it wasnt effective, as I had sex the next day (unprotected) although he didn't cum inside me. In the instruction leaflet with my pills (and my mum has said) that aslong as the pill is taken within the same few hours its ok. And plus it says that if you have forgotten to take one, as long as the time you were supposed to take it was LESS THAN 12 HOURS AGO then just take the missed one as normal and you'll be fine....

[This message has been edited by drAmA quEEn (edited 04-25-2003).]

Posts: 65 | From: uk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sorts of factors are in play when you're dealing with the pill.

If you take them at the right time, everyday, they are in theory almost always effective. Most of the people who find the pill not to be effective are the same ones who mess up in terms of when they take it. So, to answer your question, taking it later can cause problems - it might open the risk just a bit.

We generally advise people to use the pill in combination with condoms, and doing that in your case will virtually close the window of risk that you've opened up here. You might want to keep using the condoms after that too, though, because the pill doesn't protect you from STDs.

From the sounds of it, you'll probably want to get yourself tested for STDs/STIs, as well, since you've been having unprotected sex.

------------------
...and we raise the white flag, so they can paint it red and blue!
-Joel Plaskett, True Patriot Love

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.