Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » pregnacy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnacy test
amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amy_ralph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would a home pregnancy test be accurate after one week of an extremely light period. Not using first morning urine... on birth control pill for 2 monthes
Posts: 12 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try taking the test 2 weeks after the incident--HPTs test for a chemical that is produced after pregnancy. If you take the test too early, there's such a minute amount of the chemical that the test can't detect it. Also, if you've been taking the pill consistently and correctly for the last two months, your risk is very low.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amy_ralph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tested after I thought what could be a missed period..... a very light brown colour lasting only one day.... I tested that DAY and one week after that day... the light period came the day the normal period would come.... it showed negative... would that be accurate
Posts: 12 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you tested on the first day your period seemed strange and a week later and both were negative, i'd recommend one more test again a week after, just as an additional check.

also, don't forget that this extremely light period could be a side effect of your pill, too.

while the birth control pill usually lessens the amount of bleeding a woman experiences, there should still be some kind of bleeding during the pill free/placebo week, and the fact you didn't experience that, might show that your current pill's forumlation just isn't right for you.

so give the health care provider who prescribed you the pill a call and see what (s)he has to say.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: Well, I'm not good and I'm okay.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

Why do they say that a pregnancy test is accurate the day of a missed period? that was the day that a normal period owuld have arrived....
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests work this way:

They measure the presence of a hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in urine. HCG is produced in the placenta shortly after the embryo attaches to the uterine lining. It builds up rapidly in the body in the days after the implantation of a fertilised ovum.
Usually hCG can be detected by a home pregnancy test about 10 to 14 days after ovulation occurs.

Pregnancy tests come in different levels of sensitivity, so some can detect pregnancy earlier than other. However, they should all work equally well by the first day of a missed period, i.e. the day your period should have started.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

SO IN OTHER WORDS.... if I was pregnant it would show up the day my normal period would have come... and it also would be confirmed when I took a second one a week after the day of my expected period. am i right? ALSO.... the light period that I experienced is most likey the pill working in my system.... right?( have been on for 2 monthes) thanks... by the way... I am NOT having sex for a LONNNG time or until I'm married... this is way too much stress.
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

hi amy,

because bodies are all different and pregnancy tests differ, too, we always recommend to re-test a week after a negative test result, just to make sure that a pregnancy wasn't missed because the test wasn't sensitive enough, for example.

you've taken two pregnancy tests already, at times that should have given you definite results. as mentioned before, because you still worry so much, it can not harm to take a third test and to call your doc about the changes regarding your bleeding, which could indeed be to blame, as mentioned before, on your starting the pill and the pill formulation maybe not being right for you.

as to "not having sex again/until you're married": i think it's important to realise what's best for oneself. a look at Ready or Not? –The Readiness Checklist can help with evaluating that.
if you find that right now, you just cannot deal with the risk of a possible pregnancy (which is always there when one is sexually active, no birth control method is foolproof), delaying further sexual activity for a while, might be best for you for the moment. - in my opinion, it just doesn't make sense to do something that leaves you worried out of your mind, does it?
however, if you decide in a few weeks or months that you do want to start being sexually active again, consider adding condoms to your birth control arsenal. - they are the only method of birth control that offers STD protection, too, and is both a great sole and back up method.

and thanks for the thank you, always happy to help.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

So, If you were me.... would you be worried and take another test... (more $) or wait until my next period should come?

thanks

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

for peace of mind, i would take a third pregnancy test. what's $10 (or whatever) compared to more weeks of worrying?

i'd also definitely call my doctor to tell her/him about the very light bleeding and discuss whether (s)he thinks my current pill was right for me.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

Hey 'sexpert' just updating you... I took a pregnancy test as soon as i woke up this morning... it said negative.. I'm beleiving this one I htink cause I've taken 3 tests all over a week apart and all said negative!
Thanks for helping me put my mind to ease.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Thanks you for taking the time to update & saying thanks. - It's always muchly appreciated.

- And don't forget to call your doc to check whether your pill formulation is right, yes?

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

i will do that... but I'm hoping to stay on this pill since it's great for clear skin... I was on it a year before my month break ( i won't go into why cause its a long story) and it seemed to adjust well with my body.. so hopefully these symptoms will subside for this month!

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

usually, most side effects of the pill diminish after about three cycles on it, so wait and see and ask your doc.
thankfully, there are several pills out there that can help with acne, so don't worry, even if this one might not be right (and that it has worked before unfortunately doesn't guarantee it will again, our bodies change, after all), there's probably another pill that will be.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

amy_ralph
Neophyte
Member # 12404

Anyways.... after all of this... no sex for a long time.. or at least until I'm done college......I mean this kinda thing really interupts studying...... If I do end up having sex i will use your advice and alway suse a condom for fool proof control!
Lets just home these tests I took are are accurate....Don't want any babies popping out unexpectedly!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.