Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » chances of ECP working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chances of ECP working?
candykisses
Neophyte
Member # 6746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candykisses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have a few questions...

#1) I have been trying to chart my period to keep track and make sure it's regular. I've been doing it for awhile but I can't seem to get a clear answer as to when to begin counting. Do you count every 28 days from the day you START your period or END it?

#2) My boyfriend and I had sex on January 19, 2003. We used a condom, and as far as we could tell, it didn't break or leak. We removed it properly and everything went smooth. However, before we began having sex we were fooling around (I was laying ontop of him without clothes) a little bit, but we didn't have sex until the condom was on. It was really an unexpected thing, we were actually just sleeping before we began to have sex so he wasn't aroused for a long time before we did. His penis did come in contact with the outside of my vagina but since there was virtually no foreplay, there is a small chance there would be precum, am I correct? It must of been no longer than 30 seconds between when he got aroused, when my vagina brushed against his penis, and when I put the condom on. As I said earlier, there were no accidents with the condom, everything was fine. However, the first day of my most recent period was January 2, 2003. I know most women ovulate around mid-cycle which would be... 14 days from January 2nd, or 14 days from January 7 (when my period ended)? Either way, my cycle has been regular for about 6 years now, so I assumed I would be ovulating around the 19th. I went and bought Emergency Contraceptives about 36 hours after it happened. What is the chance that I am pregnant? I know it's higher because I am far from my period but are the ECPs going to even make a difference? Because if I was ovulating, then the egg most likely would've been fertilized immediately after the sperm came in contact with it, correct? I know ECPs don't affect current pregnancies. So if sperm did get into my vagina, the ECPs aren't as effective now are they?

Thanks in advance for helping me clear these things up. It's really been stressing me out lately and I've been curious for an answer. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

[Edit: I forgot to mention, we've been together for about 2 years now and have been friends for many years before that. I'm not so much worried about STD's because we haven't had any other partners besides each other. ]

[This message has been edited by candykisses (edited 01-21-2003).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: #1)

quote:
Do you count every 28 days from the day you START your period or END it?

You count from the first day of your period (the day menstrual bleeding starts). But you don't necessarily count 28 days - some women's cycles are longer, some are shorter, and that's perfectly normal.

One of the points of charting your cycle is to find out how long your individual cycle actually is.

#2) If he was aroused enough to have an erection, then it's fairly likely that pre-ejaculate was present to some degree.

This is one of the reasons why it's important to use a condom for all direct genital contact.

quote:
I know most women ovulate around mid-cycle which would be... 14 days from January 2nd, or 14 days from January 7 (when my period ended)?

Actually, the timing of ovulation can vary a lot, and as I pointed out, many women don't have a 28-day cycle. So counting days is a very unreliable way of working out when you're ovulating.

quote:
I know ECPs don't affect current pregnancies. So if sperm did get into my vagina, the ECPs aren't as effective now are they?

ECP works in a variety of ways - one of which is preventing implantation of a fertilized egg, if fertilization has occurred. They won't affect a pregnancy once implantation has taken place (which usually takes place a number of days after fertilization of an egg), but they can prevent that from happening. Check out Not 2 Late: Emergency Contraception for the full details on ECPs and how they work.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.