Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » still on pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: still on pill?
uhohoreos
Neophyte
Member # 110700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uhohoreos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so suppose my gf-s last pill from her pack was 9 pm on the 30th. If we have intercourse on the 31st, is she still protected? She says she feels that her period is coming (cramps/breasts). We always use a backup condom but yeah, was she still protected by the pill from yesterday?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Volunteer Ruth
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 110582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volunteer Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If by last pill you mean the last active pill, then yes she was still protected as the pill still works during the placebo/off week. However, if you mean that she'd finished the whole pack entirely, that's different. The pill can be okay if you miss one day, but it's not considered perfect use, which has the highest effectiveness for contraception.

However, if you used a condom then even without the pill it'd be 98% effective with perfect use.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uhohoreos
Neophyte
Member # 110700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for uhohoreos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i think she finished her pack! What's the difference between that and the last active pill?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Volunteer Ruth
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 110582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Volunteer Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a pack there are 28 pills - 21 active pills, and 7 placebo pills. The protection works for the whole of the 28 days. The last -active- pill is on the 21st day - you still have 7 more days of protection

Having sex after the last day of the pack is essentially having sex on day 29 - for which there isn't pill protection.

Does that make sense?

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uhohoreos
Neophyte
Member # 110700

yes! my gf's brand is Mercilon and it only has 21 active pills, and 0 placebo pills. but the label tells her to wait a week before she starts another strip. does it still cover 28 days?
uhohoreos
Neophyte
Member # 110700

yes! my gf's brand is Mercilon and it only has 21 active pills, and 0 placebo pills. but the label tells her to wait a week before she starts another strip. does it still cover 28 days?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it does. Some brands have placebo pills to help keep people in the habit of taking a pill every day, but they don't have any hormones in them, and not having placebos doesn't change the level of protection.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.