Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just an irregular period or...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just an irregular period or...?
jiae0912
Neophyte
Member # 110414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jiae0912     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I have a legitimate pregnancy concern or if I just had an irregular period.

Usually, when I get my period, I get cramps my first day and have a heavy flow the first two to three days. Around the fourth/fifth day, I can usually switch to a panty liner and will be completely finished by the sixth/seventh day. I've been tracking my periods for about a year now, and my cycle is usually a month to five weeks.

I was concerned about being pregnant after fooling around and having (protected) sex with my boyfriend in the past few weeks and was glad to have gotten my period this month. It seemed like my regular period: I got it almost exactly a month after my last period, I had cramps my first day, and my flow was heavy. However, starting my second day, I noticed some differences.

My period flow was light on my second day; I didn't have to change my pad as often as usual. In fact, I was able to switch to a panty liner by the end of my second day. On my third day, my period got slightly heavier, but I could still get away with just a panty liner. For the next few days until the end of my period, I still needed a panty liner, but only saw a small amount of dark blood on it.

Would you say I just had an irregular period, or should I go buy a pregnancy test? I've heard that some women experience some bleeding although they're pregnant.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very possible that this was just an irregular period, as we all get those at some point! Bleeding during a pregnancy is very uncommon, and when it does occur, it will not resemble a period much at all. If you're concerned about a pregnancy risk though, the easiest thing to do would to just take a pregnancy test, that way you can know without doubt and give yourself some peace of mind [Smile]

You might find these articles helpful:
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
(I know you didn't miss your period, but irregularity can be caused by the same things)
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jiae0912
Neophyte
Member # 110414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jiae0912     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your response! If I wanted to take a pregnancy test to be sure, when would you recommend I take it, as I've already finished my period? Should I take it ASAP or wait a week?

Also, the article says that price and brand of the test do not necessarily determine quality. Is there a brand that you would recommend or would it be okay for me to buy a generic, drugstore brand (I'm kinda on a tight budget)?

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've already finished your period, it should be accurate any time you take it. If you want to make sure then you could wait until at least two weeks after the risk, but most tests will say right on them that they're accurate either after two weeks OR when your period should come/has come, whichever comes first.

Also, as the article says, it really doesn't matter which ones you buy. I personally like to spend as little money as possible so I go with the drugstore brands when I've needed it. Also some of the drugstore varieties come in packs of two so you can do two tests for extra-back-up-accuracy which is pretty cool. All for cheaper than a single fancy-pants one [Razz]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jiae0912
Neophyte
Member # 110414

Thank you so much!

[ 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: jiae0912 ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.