Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed period
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, last month I took NorLevo pills after a condom failure. There wasn't an intercourse, my bf's erected penis just touched my vulva for an instant (no ejaculation fluid, there might be some precum). Within 1.5 hours I took the pills. This time was the 8th day of my cycle. After 5 days, I had a 2-day long vaginal bleeding. It was the same amount with my normal period. However, my period is 4 days late now. Last week I had my finals so there was so much stress going on. I read about it, I know that missing a period due to stress is common. But I'm still worried I don't know why, maybe I'm considering being Virgin Mary II.Anyway, I really don't want to take a pregnancy test, it will only cause more stress. It is probably because of stress since I had a tough week with my finals. By the way, I'm having breast tenderness and some abdominal cramps (these always appear just before my periods). It's like about to start but somehow it doesn't. Can stress cause me to skip my period? Thank you!

[ 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: loopsyme ]

Posts: 38 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, stress (and many other things) can lead to one missing their period or having that period be later than usual. Anything that affects our physical health, such as stress, changes in the way we eat, changes in the way we sleep, illness (even mild illness such as a cold), and anything else can also affect the menstrual cycle.

In case you haven't seen it, you might find it helpful to take a look at this article.

M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for loopsyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! [Smile]
Posts: 38 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Icon 9 posted      Profile for loopsyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that I have asked so much, but there's still something I want to know. When I first started a topic, you told me that I was safe. Maybe I shouldn't be nervous about this anymore, but I am. As you know, my period is late now. Would you consider pregnancy in this case? I mean what are my chances? I read about it and some other experts were also telliing that the chances are nil. I had my finals last week as I said before. What should I be concerned about my period: pregnancy or stress? I really am scared but I want to know my chances. If they are zero indeed, then I am not going to buy a home pregnancy test and cause more stress. Thank you
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said you had direct genital-to-genital contact for an instant. I don't think we can say that the chance of pregnancy is absolutely zero, because of that contact - BUT with contact just for an instant, pregnancy is spectacularly unlikely. Way, way, way unlikely: something that, practically, doesn't happen.

Taking emergency contraception can affect the cycle temporarily, including changing the timing of periods.

The reason for your late period is almost certainly one or several of the reasons suggested in the article that Robin linked you to above, and Not pregnancy.

How do you think seeing a negative result on a pregnancy test would affect you? Sometimes, seeing that result can really reassure someone and give them the definite information they need so they can stop worrying and move on. If you think that's you, then taking a test is a good choice. If you wouldn't believe the negative result and taking a test would just keep you thinking about pregnancy, then that is obviously not good for you. If you think that's you, then it sounds like it's time to have a read and a think about this: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Thank you for the answer. That was what I've been looking for actually, now I have no questions in my mind. You just clarified everything for me. I guess, I really don't need to take a pregnancy test since now I know that it is not due to pregnancy. Probably because of the stress and the impact of the EC. Thank you so much again [Smile]
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

The home pregnancy test read negative! I'm still late but at least I know that it has nothing to do with pregnancy.
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

Is white discharge normal? It's just a normal amount by the way, not too much.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a whole article on discharges, on what is healthy and what isn't.

Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loopsyme
Neophyte
Member # 108369

So it's just normal. Thank you Robin [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

You're welcome.

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.