Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question
Spring0392
Neophyte
Member # 105356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spring0392     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I recently went on vacation on Friday, and I was on my placebo week of trinessa. I left my new pill pack at home, because I knew I'd be back on Sunday in time to take my pill. Well, my fiancé stayed home, and told me that the ac had stopped working Friday night, and we couldn't get a repair man to come until Monday. Needless to say, the house was very hot. We got the ac fixed, and I took my pills like I was supposed to on Sunday, and Monday. We had used the pull out method, along with my pill as protection on Monday night. It was not until today that I came to the realization that my pills were left stored in a hotter than usual house. I called my pharmacist, and told him what happened, and he told me that my pills should be fine, since they were kept dry, and were not in the direct sunlight, and not to worry.
Well it still concerned me, so I went to the pharmacy and got an extra pill pack...now what I am wondering is what should I do now? The pharmacist told me he understands my concern, but he doesn't think I need to worry about the pills. What is your take on this? Is it ok to just start the new pack and assume I'm protected?

Posts: 11 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pharmacist is going to be the expert on what will and won't compromise the effectiveness of the pills; it's his job to know those things. If he doesn't think it's an issue that they were in a warm house, then you should be fine taking those pills.
Posts: 1346 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spring0392
Neophyte
Member # 105356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spring0392     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He kept saying that they should "probably" be fine, so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I just really hope the first two pills I took of my pack were still able to protect me somewhat. [Frown]
Posts: 11 | From: US | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid that's really the best anyone is going to be able to do. [Frown]

But if you are finding with this that the withdrawal method as a backup isn't making you feel...well, adequately backed up for when something like this happens, maybe it's time to think about a more effective backup method, or even swapping your pill for something more effective than it is?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spring0392
Neophyte
Member # 105356

Yeah, I think you are right about switching to something more reliable. I know he pulled out way in advance...so I should be fine right? And if my pills were somehow ineffective, when should they start working again? When do you think I'd be protected again?
Last time I was concerned about temperature affecting my pills, I had left my bc pills in a cold car, and my gynecologist told me that temperature doesn't effect bc pills, and that the only time I really need to be concerned is if I were to get them wet. How accurate do you think that is? I could purchase the emergency pill if you feel it is necessary.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, but if you're not comfortable with that as a backup method, it makes sense to consider one that's more effective, or a primary method that is more foolproof.

Your pill packet explains what temps to store pills in. It does matter, but I'm not sure anyone can actually say exactly how much or how little a difference it makes when they are NOT stored within that temp range, nor for how long, because I'm not sure we have those studies to draw on. But if it wasn't too hot for you to be in the house yourself, I'd, personally, figure it might not have made any difference at all.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spring0392
Neophyte
Member # 105356

Well I live in az, and It can get quite hot. The pills were only in this hot environment for two days, but it does get cooler during the night. I'd say the temp was in the 90's when I got home. The pills looked very normal, and I've been taking a new pill pack since yesterday. So that means i took the first two pills of the month from the possible damaged pack. Is there really any more that I can do to ensure that I will be protected from pregnancy? I will not use that method again. I guess I have never realized how easy it is for pills to lose their effectiveness. I know it probably doesn't make a difference, but we had only had sex for a few minutes unprotected, and we put a condom on for the rest of the time... Before then, my fiancé had not ejaculated since a week before hand. I have an appointment with my gyno again for my annual exam next month, so I will as talk with her about different methods of birth control, rather than the pill. If I decide to be sexually active again during this pill pack I will definitely use a condom the entire time, I just made a mistake allowing sexual intercourse to happen without protection at the worst time. [Frown] if I had realized that the temp may have decreased the effectiveness of my pills. I never would have agreed to have sex without a condom at all. I'm assuming the pills would have worked a little, at least I'm hoping so. [Frown]
Heather
Member # 3

There really isn't any more you can do around this at this point save waiting this out.

But again, I wouldn't make big leaps here, I'd stick with what we have been telling you, what the pharmacist said, and your GYN's lack of concern about this.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Spring0392
Neophyte
Member # 105356

That is true. I guess it would make more sense to go with what professionals are saying, rather than freak myself out. Deep down I know that the chances of me getting pregnant are probably very slim, but I freak myself out regardless. Isn't withdrawal, with perfect use, like 96 percent effective by itself? Wouldn't it be considered perfect use if he did not ejaculate in me or near me?
Just how effective do you think ec would be at this point?

Heather
Member # 3

Yep, withdrawal is estimated to be around 96% effective in perfect use. And, understand, too, that BCPs going from their full effectiveness to none, or even a drastic dip in effectiveness, isn't at all likely until or unless someone has done something like missed three pills or more.

At this point, I don't think there's anything EC would be likely to do, since you're basically outside the window for its use. Just continuing to take your pills also offers you anything EC would, and likely more effectiveness, no less.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.